Kings Canyon


Advertisement
Published: April 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Campfire and Swags - ready to unrollCampfire and Swags - ready to unrollCampfire and Swags - ready to unroll

now where has that snake gone?
After a late start - we nearly missed the bus due to the time difference -fortunately they came back for us at 6.15am! On our journey approx 3 hour drive, crossing the Erldunda point (central point of Oz), to the magnificent Kings Canyon in the George Gill Range, south-west of Alice Springs.

The hardest part of the 3 hour trek (6km) was the first uphill stage, but it was definitely worth the effort as we reached the top we had fantastic views of the gorge and Kings Canyon. The rock formations are contrasting colours of orange-red. There is also lots of desert Oaks, River Red Gums, Bottle Brushes, Wattles, Fig trees, ferns and Eucalyptus trees - which can act as sunblock (if you rub the white powder from the bark on your skin), a diverse wildlife species providing an exotic appearance. As we reached the canyon rim we had breathtaking views 300 metres to the canyon floor, and saw the strange rock shapes. We also visited the beautiful waterhole in the Garden of Eden to see the beehive formations of the Lost City and ruins like an ancient Aztec city, which is caused by water and wind erosion and the north and south walls.

Kings Canyon has also played a fundamental part in Aboriginal life and holds numerous stories. The canyon is stunning, but I must mention the extremely hot weather and numerous sand flies!!! Then on our journey onwards we came across a cute Thorny Devil and a python at our bush camp in Curtain Springs. Unaware exactly of the terminology of 'bush camp' we were a little surprised by our accommodation for the night, which consisted of an opening in the middle of the outback with no facilities! We had to go in search for wood for the fire and sleep in swags on the bare bush ground under the stars for the night. Then we had our bushcamp meal around the fire and listened to our guide play the didgeredoo - not bad. Ellie managed to spot a shooting star.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0239s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb