Second to Last


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales
October 10th 2011
Published: October 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Camp cookingCamp cookingCamp cooking

In the Warrumbungles
Second to last.
Everyone was packed up and ready to leave, heading back to Canberra today, everybody except for the Finlay family and Caroline and myself. The Finlays were staying around for another day in the Warrumbungle National Park and would be heading off to Tenterfield tomorrow, and they had plans to go off to Siding Springs, Australia’s largest optical observatory, then into Coonabarabran to have a look around this pretty town.
Caroline and I had big plans for today, absolutely nothing, zip, zilch, nada, just read our books, drink as much tea as humanly possible, have lunch and veg, big time. Well it has been a nonstop few days!
We waved everyone off, it was at least a 6-7 hour drive back to Canberra for everyone, and they obviously wanted to get back at a sensible time as most of them go back to work on Tuesday.
As soon as they had gone, I went around all their camp spots and harvested all the wood they had left behind, well I was not leaving it for others when we were here for another couple of nights, that would just be plain silly.
At the National Park, they have been doing some works, which at the moment, we don’t know how keen we are on it, they have put loads of stumps in the ground and you have to park in a certain place, whereas before, you could just pick a spot and camp there which is the way we liked it.
They have built a Gazebo which has seating, in the way of benches and tables and a couple of Gas BBQ’s which are just press and start, so these are included in your camping fee. Along with the camping fees you also have to pay a daily usage fee, whether you are camping or not. Still it does pay for the upkeep of the facilities.
This morning we decided on a hearty breakfast of eggs and bacon, so we wandered over to the BBQ’s armed with everything we needed, Greg and Tammy were doing the same, during breakfast we all chatted, and came up with a plan to cook a piece of Pork in our Camp oven which we had brought with us and every one was welcome.

Tammy said they would do happy hour and the Desert, so we said we would reconvene when they got back later on.

We had got heaps of fire wood, all stacked neatly, I used the new chain saw to cut it into nice lengths, ready for burning, but had to be careful as chainsaws are not allowed in National Parks, but I do hasten to add that it was wood that we had all collected before we entered the National Park.

Our day was awesome, I nearly drowned in tea, I drank so much, it was just fantastic, I did some blog, read my four wheel drive magazine, and just enjoyed the sunshine, the weather was gorgeous and I just love the sun.

The Finlay family arrived back and Tammy came over with some chocolate and Bananas we had put an order in for, as we have been preparing for a forthcoming trip and needed some ingredients to practice with. On 5th November we are going camping to Wee Jasper, for a Jaffle Iron Cook off and “Bush Cocktails” and are preparing our technique.

What is a Jaffle Iron? Well it’s just like a sandwich toaster, except it is not electric and it is made of cast Iron, it has two halves, and from each half has a long handle, so when you place it in the fire, the handles don’t burn your hands when you remove it from the fire.

We have ordered a XXX Jaffle Iron, Made by XXX, (Sorry, we can’t divulge this information, until we have past 5th November, as some of the contestants read our blog and it would give the game away.

We have come up with some brilliant combinations and were keen to try some out whilst in the Warrumbungles and having access to a nice open fire.

The Jaffle iron was seasoned before use, this is critical, just like our Camp oven, if you oil it first them place it in a very hot fire, the oil leaches in to the cast iron and coats the surfaces, our little camp oven is awesome, as I type this we are in the Goobang National Park, there is no one here but us, and the camp oven is on the fire grate with a chicken Curry cooking in it, it just cannot get any better than this.

We have stocked up with provisions today, and have brought some more things to try in the Jaffle iron.

As far as Bush Cocktails go, we will obviously do something called a “Kangaroojack”, I just haven’t got a clue what it will be yet and will have to leave it as it is more Caroline’s department, she tells me that she does have some good ideas.

Anyway, back to where we were, Greg, Tammy, Gaye and the Boys came over, the fire had been burning down, and there were loads of coals glowing, the Pork was in the camp oven and placed on the coals, Tammy had brought over Cheese and Crackers and other nibbles which was great and we sat around talking whilst dinner was cooking.

It was dark by the time everything was cooked, the vegetables were put in with the Pork and cooked for the last fifteen minutes, the smell wafted out of the camp oven it was blissful.

We pulled the joint out of the camp oven and carved, there was plenty for 7 people, Caroline had done gravy and as usual another great meal from the camp oven, which we all enjoyed.

Tammy and Greg disappeared after dinner and eventually came back with desert homemade Golden Syrup dumplings with cream, they were awesome.

We sat around the fire, well into the evening, the moon was full and the sky was really clear, a pity it was not like this last night, but still we have not had any rain so we cannot complain.
Soon it was time for bed, we had had a busy day, not really we had a lazy day, but it was great.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb