Last days in Oz :o(


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales
April 9th 2009
Published: April 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

And so the end is near, the final curtain.........

So I have to fill you in on our last 2 weeks in Australia! I believe last time we spoke Han and I had just made it to Surfers Paradise. Surfers Paradise was like nothing in Australia we had ever been to. The name of the place kinda gives it away...... it is where a lot of the Aussie Pro-Surfers live, as the surf is just unbelievable and the beaches are so golden and just never ending. It kinda looks like a mirage, as you travel through the QLD country side and then you just hit all these sky scrapers, right out of nowhere; Surfers Paradise is home to the Q1 Tower which is the tallest residential building in the Southern Hemisphere. It did remind us a bit of the Costa Del Sol, but classier, with also a bit of the "themedness" of Vegas but just not as tacky. The nightlife there was just unbelievable, proper party town. This is where a lot of Aussies spend their Hols, and its lively all week at anytime of the day, so basically, as per usual we met some great friends at our hostel and just partied partied partied!!!!!! It was brill actually as you paid $30 (15 pounds) got free entry to everywhere and 3 free drinks in every bar plus free pizza! Think at the height of the bar crawl there were about 100 people on it. Madness. We were supposed to leave on Friday, but Han and I missed the Oz bus (genuinely not our fault, they changed the timetable 4 days before they said they would) so we had to stay there another night; but had no beds left at the hostel, so we had to book an apartment (The Hilton, as we like to call it) twice the price but it was nice having a bit of luxury for a while........ the next Oz bus wasn't leaving for another 2 days, but we met up with some American friends who were driving down to Byron Bay the next day so we got a lift with them.

When driving from Surfers to Byron we eventually left QLD and entered NSW- mad that we had been travelling Oz for the last 6 weeks and only had been to one state!!!! You have to change the clocks an hour ahead when you get into NSW for some peculiar reason. So we go to Byron Bay and go camping for the first night as all the hostels are packed. Byron's a really cool chilled out place- there are lots of surfer dudes, chilled out hippies, spliffs etc etc. It’s quite a small resort, but a really good vibe. So we set up camp (with the help of 2 ex American Marines so it didn’t take that long!); and who do we find we have set up camp next to? The Darlington Boys. We cannot escape this group of 4 lads and 1 girl. We have now bumped into them in Singapore Airport, Rainbow Beach, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay, Nimbin and just the other day they were walking down the steps of the Sydney Opera House as we were walking up them. Crazy; but as travellers are usually following the same route as each other this is not uncommon. So as has been the running theme in our stay in Oz, the heavens opened so we all run and take shelter in a tiny hut on the campsite, play lots of silly drinking games and basically have a great big party in the rain. I never played cards in England, but now after my time in Oz I now own a pack of cards and have a whole repertoire of drinking related card games- well you have to pass the time somehow in the rain!!!!!! The further south we have been travelling in Oz the more the weather has deteriorated. Ok ok we know its the wet season, but I swear it rains more here that it does in England!!!!!!!! We are virtually normal colour again!!!!

Byron Bay was probably the first place where we were starting to get cold as well, skirts were being replaced with trousers and cardigans were being worn more frequently. So the next night we leave the campsite, say good bye to the Americans and check into the Arts Factory http://www.artsfactory.com.au/ this is a really cool hostel. Back in the day the Beatles and Rolling Stones played here. Its set a bit outside of Byron in 5 acres of land, and its kind of a hippy commune, you can camp, stay in tepees, a double decker bus etc etc; we chose to stay in a dorm and I'm so glad we made that decision as the heavens opened and it didn’t stop raining torrentially for 2 days!!!! The people who were camping had an awful time; rain pouring through their tents; passports and ipods being ruined etc etc, the campsite resembled more of a refugee camp towards the end!!!!! So no one really wanted to brave the weather and venture into town, but the good thing is that the hostel puts on entertainment most nights. One night there was a talent show with some really good acoustic music (wicked Manc lad played the Artic monkeys!!) and also Cockatoo Paul playing the Didgeridoo- what an amazing sound they make!!! But also with it having a hippy vibe, there were some poetry readings which Han and I weren't so hot on but each to their own. The next day luckily the weather had turned for the better so Han and I ventured into town to the beach (where we bumped into the Darlington lads on the beach.....) watched some very impressive surfers- they make it look so easy!!!!!!! and then decide that we should walk up to the lighthouse we see perched on the top of the hill, thinking it didn't look too far. Rightio. An hour later we had made it to the lighthouse (although on the way Han had dropped her towel and had to go back to get it ha ha ha ha- whilst I sat on a bench and wanted to 'take in the view') The lighthouse is on the most Easterly point of Oz (maybe thats why we had to change the time?!) and at dusk and dawn you can usually see some sharks and dolphins in the water below, but we were out of luck this time. I cant believe I havent seen a dolphin my entire time I have been in Oz!! Perhaps Ill see some dolphins and whales in NZ. Oh and we ate an ice cream at the lighthouse which was prob the most amazing ice cream I have ever eaten in my life, seriously the walk was worth it just for that.

From Byron Bay you do a day trip to Nimbin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimbin,_New_South_Wales. Nimbin is probably the most random place I have ever been to in my life. its a tiny little town an hour from Byron and its basically weed central. Its whole ethos, culture etc is about smoking weed. it has the annual 'Mardi-Grass' festival!! and I think the highest unemployment in the area!!! As everyones high on weed!!!!! Virtually every backpacker going to Nimbin either buys weed there or some cookies; Han and I opt for some cookies which we buy off a very dodgy Abbo guy behind a museum. We have been told the trick is to eat a little and wait an hour for the result. Han and I buy 2 for $5, share half and then wait. By the time we get back on the bus we are asleep in 5 mins!! All the stupid things did was knocked us out!!!!! So we get back to the hostel and decide to go on a Bushtucker walk with Cockatoo Paul- the guy is insane- but now we know that if we get lost in the bush, we can find food, water, make fire and even know a tree who's bark we can wipe are arse with.

The next day we say goodbye to Byron and its crazy hippies and head to a compulsory stop- surf camp. This is where (with a very severe stinking hangover) Han and I eventually learn how to surf. Very badly. If there was a competition for the best at kneel surfing Han and I would win it hands down; but the reality is Han didn't manage to stand at all and I think my max was 2 seconds. We felt pretty useless and most of the group we were with were standing (but they were on average 5 years younger than us!!) But it transpired most of them had surf lessons before, so we didnt feel that useless. It really is pretty hard going, you need a lot of upper body strength and good balance- both of which I seriously lack. And the waves are so big and strong!!!! It is so easy to get battered to death by your surf board if not strong enough!! I would love to show you my pics of the day so that you could all have a good laugh, but Han doesnt have hers with her and the CD that gave of me all contain Han!!! I know we're twins but for gods sake we're not the same person!!! So when I eventually get sent mine I promise to publish them so you can all have a good laugh.

The next day we get up at 6am and start our mammoth journey down to our last stop- Sydney of course!!! A punishing 9 hour bus ride :o( We sleep most of the way until we get to the start of the Blue Mountains- a mountain range just north of Sydney- and they really are beautiful!!!! With gorgeous lakes dotted in between. So we head towards the centre of Sydney and head over the Harbour Bridge, with the Opera House in the background- wow what a view. Certainly very impressive. We then get to our hostel in the middle of the city and share a room with 1 Canadian boy and 2 English girls. I go out and buy a pair of heels as Sydney is apparently pretty strict on letting people in- I hadn't walked in heels for nearly 3 months- so looked a little like a man in drag!!! And Han and I then go out and paint Sydney red. We go to a nightclub called The Ivy and I swear its the most amazing club I have ever been to in my life. Full of the most gorgeous people (esp men in suits) I have ever seen in my life. Its on 2 massive floors, open air in the middle with a huge Atrium- so you can smoke anywhere- bonus!!!! and the music was fab. We then get accosted by this mixed race guy and for some reason get let into the VIP section (if only they knew we were backpackers staying in a hostel who had to buy sandals especially!!!!) And we got to mingle with the glitterati of Sydney whilst sipping on free Champagne all night, what a bonus!!!!!! We leave there, have a Korean meal at 4am then go to Bedfordshire. The next night we buy tickets to see an Aussie Rules Footie game at the ANZ Olympic Stadium in Sydney, Sydney Swans vs Melbourne's Hawthorn Hawks which was good- especially because you just pay $20 which gets you transport there, ticket to the match and a free beer after! But Aussie rules is a bit weird, the rules are completely confusing (well they were created by an Aussie!!) and the atmosphere was crap- think the stadium was just too big (with it being one of the 2000 Olympic stadiums) with not enough people to fill it. Not a patch on my beloved Rugby. We head back to Sydney, have a midnight Chinese (god I love cities!!) and go to bed.

The next day we met a friend from Newark called Bonnie Mitchell (You may know her brothers? Aiden and Scott and lil sis Olivia, used to live near Cliff Nook lane) who has been living in Sydney for the last 3 years nearly, and we sat in a Hotel gossiping and drinking beer for 5 hours!!!!! She's so happy here- she really is living the dream, she would never ever move back to the UK even if her relationship ended, she's having the time of her life. Pretty inspiring really. That night we take the ferry over to Manly Beach which is one of 2 very famous beaches in Sydney. The view from the ferry at night time over looking the harbour- the Harbour Bridge, the Opera House was just so breathtaking, really stunning, our pics just dont do it justice!!!! We have a nice meal there, listen to some live music and catch the last ferry back at midnight. The next day (me with a stinking hangover as I partied back in Sydney til 5) we go on a city walk at 11. A walk that lasted 6 HOURS!!!!!!!! I actually though I would die a couple of times mid way through but managed to last the distance- and it was worth it. We went right round the city and went to some fabulous landmarks and got to learn lots about the history of Sydney which was interesting, also went to the Botanic Gardens (where there are loads of fruit bats- yuck) and went to visit Sydney's Catherdral, which if you come from Europe, isn't really that impressive!!!! It was nice to be in Sydney after 7 weeks in Oz as it was the first time we had experienced a bit of culture, and a cosmopolitan vibe. There is something inately English about Sydney as well; all the street names are familiar (Oxford Street, Hyde Park, George Street etc) and some of the buildings looked like London ones........ The next day we went to Bondi Beach which is the other famous beach in Sydney which you got to by bus, but to be honest we were a bit disappointed by this one- Bondi I think must be a little shabby chic as its so run down!! Looks like a 'seen better days' English seaside resort!!! But The beach was lovely and the colourful houses on the cove had a St Ives feel about it, and the waves- I am; as we have established; no surfing expert- are supposed to be some of the best in the vacinity. Sydney is a cool city, eating out isn't too horrendously expensive and neither are drinks, more cheap then london anyhoo. The sights are very impressive, but there just seems to be something lacking; as with the whole of Oz- History and culture. Han and I were talking to this Italian chap and he was saying exactly the same thing- coming here really does make you appreciate the history, culture, architecture and sophistication of the country you left.

Ok so lets recap Oz; these are the things Han and I have learned:

1. Aussie men are not hot. Han and I in 7 weeks have seen 2 hot ones. And they're short. That includes surfers too unfortunately!!!
2. They lack in identity; Fish and Chips are their national dish. No they're not!!! That's England's!!!!!
3. It rains. A lot. And it gets cold :o(
4. There are no black people here, just a whole load of Chinese.
5. They aren't particularly sophisticated or couth, pretty primitive to be honest, and racist, sexist, discriminatory........
6. You cannot buy alcohol anywhere, they dont sell it in supermarkets just random bottle shops. And you need photo ID to get into every club, how Han and I still have our passports I dont know!!!
7. They pretend that they're better than us POHM's but that are obsessed with the English!!! Our Royal family, music, TV, films, celebs etc
8. Oz has a rainforest, desert, 4th biggest mountain range and a ski season!
9. Apparently drugs are very expensive to buy here compared to the rest of the world- but I wouldn't know. How much are space cookies in the UK!!??
10. Most Aussies dont have a passport!!!

Ok ok I may be giving this country a hard time, we have done such a small portion of this vast land, I cannot really assess it fairly. I want to come back; do Adelaide, Melbourne, Perth and go through the middle to Uluru (Ayres Rock), Alice Springs and Darwin. I think next year I will come back and use my Year's Working Holiday Visa (I only have 4 more years as you cant get one after you're 30!) and live and work in Melbourne and Perth for a while.

So to sum up Oz has been amazing, the beaches, islands, rainforests, wildlife are just wonderful. If you live here I suppose you don't really need a passport, Oz (apart from the history) really does have everything and it would be a great place to live; on a weekend you could just take off and go skiing, go camping, to the beach, an island, you really are spoilt for choice here. I don't know if I could say now if I would want to relocate here permanantly, i think I'll do my year's working here and decide. If you could combine England and Oz it really would be the most perfect country! But we will see......

Anyhoo I'm on day 2 of our 5th country now, New Zealand. It's blooming freezing! Han and I have had to buy coats, hoodies and Uggs!!!!!! So this is where I shall leave you till next time, after I have tried to avoid being coaxed into a skydive and seen Frodo in the Shire.

As always much love

Bex and Hans xxxxxx

P.S. I managed to duplicate some photos by mistake- so don't think your memory is failing you if some look familiar!!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 254, Displayed: 34


Advertisement



Tot: 0.283s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb