Ancestors on the Goldfields Weekend


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales
January 27th 2009
Published: January 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Australia Day Long Weekend 2009 saw Team JuMa off again to the country. This time they were walking in the footsteps of Julie's convict, gold digging ancestors...the Cores, Lawsons, Broadies, Bursills & Poulters of Sofala, Wattle Flat and Gulgong.

About 20 Poulter family members joined Julie and Marco for a weekend at a tourist park in Mudgee. On the Saturday Julie conducted a tour of Sofala and Wattle Flat, telling tales of ancestors from 150 years ago and the shannigans that went on in their lives. Julie's ancestors were no angels and were involved in theft, unlicenced grog selling, assault and even murder! The highlights of the tour were a drink at the ancestors watering hole, the Royal Hotel in Sofala...a look at the gaol cell at the Old Sofala Gaol...and grave hunting in Wattle Flat. Sunday saw the family head to Gulgong to take a look at the Pioneers Museum, one of the best in the country. The weather was damn hot and the pool got quite a workout over the three days.

Recommend the bush towns of NSW to anyone for a great trip for Australia Day. Sofala had a street fair for Australia Day this year but it is shared among other towns in different years. Another great place to go is the Blayney-Carcoar area...Carcoar has an annual Australia Day event in the historic town with re-enactments and Cobb&Co. coach rides. Blayney has the Billy Cart Bash. And one year we stumbled across a Lawn Mower Race at Forbes. So give the country a go for Australia Day next year!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Celebrating Australia DayCelebrating Australia Day
Celebrating Australia Day

At the pub of course
What a motley crewWhat a motley crew
What a motley crew

Mudgee tourist park
Typical Australia Day BreakfastTypical Australia Day Breakfast
Typical Australia Day Breakfast

Daniel's just pretending to cook!
What A Catch!!!What A Catch!!!
What A Catch!!!

Woz & Daniel try out for the next Australian Olympic Water Polo Team
Just helping Stephen put up his tentJust helping Stephen put up his tent
Just helping Stephen put up his tent

Marco shows Stephen how to pitch a tent!!!
Touring in GulgongTouring in Gulgong
Touring in Gulgong

Do I know these people? What...I'm related to them?


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb