Road Tripin Begins...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales
April 10th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Golden SandsGolden SandsGolden Sands

Surfers beach goes on for miles and miles. Or I guess being in Auz, I should say KM's and KM's

Finally our trip on the road was to begin. On the morning of Bank Holiday Monday we made our way into the centre of Sydney to collect our set of wheels for the journey. So far we have always managed to get upgraded when picking up cars, from the base model booked, but this time we got what we paid for - a Hyundai Getz. But as it was just the two of us for this time, it proved to do the job fine.

Our plan was to spent roughly 8 days driving to Brisbane at a leisurely pace, stopping along the way, namely at Byron Bay and Surfers Paradise.

The first leg of the journey took us past the industrial town of Newcastle, where we stopped for lunch. Here we quickly came to the conclusion that we had no desire to hang about any longer than the length of time it took to eat. We decided to continue driving as far as we could that day and stopped in the first small town (or should I say village) that we came to before sundown finally approached for the day.

We found a camp site to stay
The Byron Bay Light House The Byron Bay Light House The Byron Bay Light House

This light house is built on the most Easterly point in Australia. Being blue and white, it was the perfect opportunity to use my colour filter option on the camera again!
in, dropped of our stuff, and thought we better drive into the village centre to find a shop for supplies. It was dark by this time, and judging from the first drive through on arrival, it didn't look like the sort of place where the shops stayed open late, if at all!!

It was here we had our little run in with the law. We had parked in the deserted street, along with the other five or vehicles, making the total traffic congestion 6 parked cars. After buying supplies, we walked out to see a police officer writing a ticket. It appears we hadn't seen the sign, instructing vehicles to "park rear to kerb" in the parking bay. Apparently it's was a danger for cars to be reversing out into this (so called) busy street.

We argued our case on the basis that we had never heard of such a law / had just picked the car up that day etc, all of which was true. It was to no avail however and she took great delight in handing us the ticket for $77 dollars. An expensive trip to the shop you may agree.

It was only of further inspection later that evening we noticed the time restriction on the sign, clearly stating between the hours of 830am and 530pm, we remembered that our ticket was issued at 630pm, so we quickly checked to make sure the time had been written on it. Next morning we found another local bobby and asked him to confirm the sign. He was surprised and agreed with us, and went on to say he had booked others out of the time restrictions on several occasions without realising he shouldn't have, but so far no one had picked up on it.. Honestly they really should check their own signage properly.

The second day on the road was pretty much driving for most of the day. Again just before nightfall we stopped to find a place to stay. This time in the slightly larger town of Coffs Harbour, roughly half way between Sydney and Brisbane.

After driving around several motels, we found one that was relatively inexpensive, but have to say it was also pretty gloomy. We couldn't see much in the way of night life on a Tuesday night, so instead of trying to pursue it, we went to get fish and chips, (which was one of the best so far in Auz) and went back to the hotel relying on the film channel for entertainment.

The third day took us to Byron Bay, and finally a bit of life. It was beginning to feel like we hadn't seen any people for a while. The town was a breath of fresh air, compared to our previous couple of nights stay. Although small, it is packed with shops, restaurants, bars, and places to stay. Campervans litter the streets, and it's clear that its a popular traveller and holiday designation.

The only down side to it's popularity is it is expensive to stay in the town. On the first night we eventually found a hostel with space available, but at twice the price we had been used to paying. In the evening a group of us went out to experience the Byron Bay night life. As I said, it's not a big place so there are only a couple of places open late, but the small club we went to was packed out till about 3am, I think!! being pretty hammered by then I wasn't keeping an accurate account of
Wise Words Wise Words Wise Words

The Nimbin Street Code
the time!!

The hostel only had availability for the one night, so next morning we had to check out by 10am, which was hard work, believe me, to find another place to stay. In our half drunk state, I was surprised that we managed to do this with relative ease, compared to the day before.

That day Rob and I and a couple of the lads from the hostel decided to make, (what we thought at the time would be a short drive) to the strange village of Nimbin. After driving what felt like all day we arrived, in the small stoner town. It sure is a weird place, just walking up the street people jump from there outside seating to offer drugs. After the time it took to get there, we thought we should make it worth the while by at least staying to eat. And then it was back in the car to Byron. I think the length of this journey was only highlighted by how rough I felt that day from the evening before. I never get car sick, but that day, I came pretty close!

We spent three nights in Byron, before checking
The Most Eastern Point of Auz The Most Eastern Point of Auz The Most Eastern Point of Auz

Standing at a very windy Cape Byron with Matt and Jack from our Hostel.
out and making the short trip to Surfers. Totally different to where we had just left. Welcome to high rise apartment blocks, hotels and shopping malls.
The accommodation we found was a result as it worked out we pretty much got a whole apartment to ourselves, within walking distance to the town. The only other guy staying there was a blind chap called Danny. Nice guy, said he comes to stay in Surfers every year. He leaves his white stick at the apartment door, so he always know where it is an he told us a couple of lads staying a couple of weeks back moved it as a joke. Yeah well funny - Some joke, tossers!!

We had arrived on a Saturday so it was to be a busy night out. The hostel organised free entry into a few of the local clubs and a group of us went out. It was fairly busy but I didn't stay up for a late one, in fact in one of the rare times when I was home before Rob.

The following evening (Sunday) the German girl that organises the "going out" was trying to get people out again. Now
Our Trusty Wheels - Sydney to Brisbane Our Trusty Wheels - Sydney to Brisbane Our Trusty Wheels - Sydney to Brisbane

So far when hiring cars we have always booked an entry model, and been upgraded. Not this time! We got what we paid for. But in fairness the Hyundai Getz wans't too bad. I guess by just making that statement it shows I must have become used to driving some pretty basic cars over the past month or so!!
if you want my honest opinion, I thought the crowd from the hostel the previous night was pretty lame, and I wasn't expecting Sunday to be any better. I would of quite happily stayed in but Rob was keen to check it out, so I went along - I wish i hadn't as it was one of the most boring and awkward nights Ive ever experienced!!

When we came to meet the so called group at 9pm, it appeared was just to be me, Rob, the German girl (it would be real helpful if I could remember her name) and a guy from the night before that everyone had named "the Hawaiian guy", purely because of his loud shirt. The group had lost him after moving from the first bar the previous evening, and no one had seemed that concerned, including the German girl. Oh but wait, I haven't finished - To add to our little Sunday tribe was the strange fruit loop that had just checked into reception half an hour before. He quickly became pally with Hawaiian guy- well he had little choice really.

We all walked into town together. The German girl got us free
Views of the Beach from Coffs HarbourViews of the Beach from Coffs HarbourViews of the Beach from Coffs Harbour

Roughly the half way point between Sydney and Brisbane.
entry into a club, and what a club it was. Totally dead, and I mean no one there at all, except the bar staff! We all sat around a table listening to the load music for almost an hour, most of which was spent in silence, as it was too noisy for conversation, before each making our excuses to call it a night. Only fruit loop decided to stay out and move to the next empty club on his own. It was a rather depressing night!!

Anyway aside from that we spent three days in surfers in total, which was probably about right. A day to settle in, a day on the beach, and then a day at Wet n Wild, a large outdoor water park just outside the main town. Wet n Wild was good, but with it very still being Easter holidays, it was very busy. After a few hours there, the novelty of the rides wore off due to the hour long queues we were enduring before them!

On the Tuesday morning we left Surfers Paradise for the short drive into Australia's third largest city, Brisbane.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Surfers Paradise in the backgroundSurfers Paradise in the background
Surfers Paradise in the background

Gotta admit you could see this a lot clearer that the photo suggests
Our hostel in Surfers. Our hostel in Surfers.
Our hostel in Surfers.

This was a pretty good place to stay as it worked out that we bagged a whole appartment to ourselves!
Obviously not the clearest sign in the world!Obviously not the clearest sign in the world!
Obviously not the clearest sign in the world!

Correct me if im wrong, but we read these restrictions to be between the hours of 8.30 and 5.30!


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 16; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb