One good turn deserves another!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Temora
November 29th 2009
Published: November 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Jumping the PatrolJumping the PatrolJumping the Patrol

One good turn deserves another
DAY 387


It was roughly the same time as yesterday morning when the wind really blew up again, the tent started to billow, the trailer was rocking and we both felt how cold and draughty it was.

We stayed in bed longer again this morning just to keep warm and when the rain came we knew that it was quite possible that we would end up staying another day. The rain was so heavy that it just soaks the canvas and we have learnt in the past that it is wise not to pack away the tent while the canvas is wet, for no other reason but it has the potential to make our bed damp.

It was probably around 8.00 again this morning before we surfaced, I put the kettle on again shielding it from the wind and the rain, so we had a cup of tea and some cereal.

The weather was really poor and the longer it went on the more likely we were to stay. The campsite had thinned a little from yesterday, it seems that most people who wanted to see the Temora Air Show moved on early this morning and
Thunder HeadsThunder HeadsThunder Heads

Rolling in
quite possibly packed up before it poured with rain.

If we move on today we would be heading back to Wagga Wagga, which we are not really that far from in the grand scheme of Australia, and fairly likely that it would be raining there too, so a decision was made that we may as well stay, and lets face it, we have a good view of the flying providing that the weather does not stop play.

Truth be told I felt a little bit bored, only because when it rains you feel the weather confines you, I spent most of the day sitting in the truck, listening to an audio book through my ipod (I eventually did the audio book in a playlist) and darting out every so often to try and get a picture of the aeroplanes as they took off and darted over head. I thought about being bored and then remembered that I should still be grateful that we have been lucky enough to travel and have all this time off work, it is Sunday and most people here will be going back to work tomorrow, so I count my blessings.

It was quite disappointing that the air display was not what it was yesterday, not because the planes were not there but because the weather is so bad it has put people off coming, yesterday was a beautiful 38 degree’s, the sky was clear and blue, today was about 19 degree’s cold, wet and grey.

I suppose board is not a reasonable word to use, more like confinement, if we were back at home then we could have put a DVD on to watch a film, or Andy could have gone and pottered in his workshop, with one of the bikes, I may have gone to the gym, we always had plenty to do in our beautiful home, here it is different, but I wouldn’t swap it at the moment.

The Weather started to break in the middle of the afternoon, we were cold, yes I said cold, in Australia, that’s just mad!! Andy had got back in to bed to read his book he was so cold, still we both love the warm weather now, I can’t ever see us wanting British weather again, especially knowing how bad it has been over there recently.

The Temora air show came to a close and gradually all of the old aeroplanes that flew in for the show, raced down the runway one more time and on take off they vanished into the stormy clouds surrounding us.

Even more amazing is that some of the people who visited the air show flew in, so just went to their aeroplanes, loaded up with kids, pushchairs and bags of goodies from the air museum, took the ground anchors off the wings, the chocks away, the propeller starts whirring and with the sound of a million bumble bees, they race down the runway and they too disappear into the clouds beyond us.

Andy and I sat in the truck and we had decided to go out to Centenary Lake just to have a look, we got ourselves ready to go, Andy put the key in the ignition and the Patrol just went “click”, looking at each other, we both quickly realised that we had drained the battery by using the computer, the Ipod’s and other stuff to quell our “Boredom”.

We asked a couple of people if they had any jump leads but to no avail. David said he would have been happy to run us in to town, but it is late afternoon and the shops would be shut and he had also had a few beers, it wasn’t a problem, there is a way round this.

Andy had taken the auxiliary battery off the patrol and was just about to swap it over with the primary starting battery when a fella came over holding a set of jump leads, “Am I too late to help?” This chap announces, “Certainly not” Andy replied, as David brings his Mitsubishi close so the jump leads can be connected up.

The Patrol instantly started and we thanked Finlay for his help and coming to our rescue, we took the Patrol for a quick squirt down the road to put some life back in to the primary battery.

The afternoon had crowned the day, we now have glorious sunshine, the wind has dropped but the breeze is still fairly cool. We decide to sit in the tent for a bit of warmth and shelter, pity to close the sun out really, as we had been out to eat two nights on the trot, we decided that we wanted a simple evening meal, “Beans on Toast with Pickled Onion Cheese on the top”, this is Rock and Roll.

We had agreed that we would eat then type the blog and leave our visit to Centenary Lake until we leave in the morning, so we settled in for the night.

I might just point out that where we are camping at Temora Airport, it is a nice little airport, that is I could not imagine camping on the flight line of Heathrow Airport, you just would not get any peace, there are houses being built here that have the option of a hangar being built with it. Imagine that? Having an aircraft hangar in your back garden, so when you want to go flying you just walk out of the back door, open the hanger push your aeroplane out, down the runway apron and within a short space of time you are up up and away.

I overheard a woman talking telling someone that her and her husband have a plane each in their hangar and how easy it is to just get up and go.

About 9.00 pm Andy got into bed with the Nintendo and did a few puzzles but soon he fell asleep, my Mum and Dad Skyped me, so I had a long chat with them, they are back from their holidays, sadly swapping beautiful sunshine and lazy Spanish days for cold wind and rain back in Blighty.

Soon it was time for me to go to bed, it was quite a cool night, so needed the warmth of our sleeping bags, I decided to wear my fleecy pyjamas tonight, a bit of reverse psychology if I am wearing fleecy pyjamas then perhaps the weather will be better in the morning.

Unfortunately not the most exciting blog but at least a true record of what happened in our lives today.

So until tomorrow bloggers.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



1st December 2009

audiobook
So, I'm guessing from this blog that the sort issue has been dealt with in the playlist?
1st December 2009

Playlist
Hi Mindy, yes the playlist was the only option, thank you. Worked a treat, I hope Apple sort this issue....... excuse the pun! C

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb