Huge Hills and an Overheated Engine


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
March 14th 2014
Published: March 29th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Wirrin Rest Stop at Shell Harbour, Princes HighwayWirrin Rest Stop at Shell Harbour, Princes HighwayWirrin Rest Stop at Shell Harbour, Princes Highway

The stop was so steep we chocked the wheels
We packed up and just as we were hitching the van to the ute, John and Jill came to wish us Happy Anniversary. John also brought his Gliding Logbook to show Barry that they had done two flights together in 1979. They enjoyed trying to remember what happened!

We finally got underway and drove along the Princes Highway until lunch time, when we stopped at Wirrin Rest Stop at Shell Harbour next to the highway to have our sandwiches. The sign telling us where it was forgot to mention the slope it was on, which we didn’t see until we had rounded the corner. Barry was so worried that we chocked the wheels before we sat down to eat, and he kept looking over there to make sure the van hadn’t run away. Fortunately, it didn’t.

That was just the start of our hill troubles! The rest of the trip from there was a series of long, slow, uphill climbs, which our ute didn’t like at all, towing such a heavy van. Going up the longest one we were getting slower and slower – even big trucks were sailing past us, although some of them were having trouble too.
Heathcote Railway StationHeathcote Railway StationHeathcote Railway Station

Checking out the times and tickets for Sydney
The engine started getting overheated and Barry was worried about the strain on the transmission. We actually had to pass one truck because its engine heat was adding to our overheating! We finally made it to the top and passed a rest area on the crest of the hill full of about twelve heavy trucks all cooling off their vehicles’ engines. We didn’t join them as Barry has found that the rush of air going over the engine on the downhill run cools everything much quicker. It worked this time, too, and soon the temperature was nearer to normal.

With great relief, we arrived safely at Heathcote Tourist Park, about 30 kms South of Sydney. It was next to a railway line which went into Sydney so we wouldn’t have to drive there. We also didn’t want to pay the exorbitant caravan park fees in Sydney – which were up to $60 a night! This place was $35 a night – which we still thought was overpriced for what we got. The site was mostly full of permanent residents, despite the Park’s name, and many of their homes were surrounded by rubbish. Our site was on gravel with chunks of broken brick on it and situated between a half repaired cabin and a large truck container. The toilets were filthy and didn’t look as if they’d been cleaned in days. Thank goodness we have our own on board! We were right between the train line and the main Princes Highway – really quiet at night, as you can imagine! (NOT).

At least the train station was just two doors away and we were not intending to stay around the site during the day so it would meet our needs for the few nights of our stay.

We went to the station and checked out the price and times of the train to Sydney and then bought some fish and chips from over the road and collapsed into bed. I’m so glad we had our anniversary a day early!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0734s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb