Three States in Two weeks cont'd...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
January 4th 2012
Published: January 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

About a week and a half ago now we flew from Western Australia to Sydney, New South Wales. We had planned to stay at this house with these two girls who were house sitting (long and confusing story). So personally, I didn't have much expectations, it could go either way. But still, me and Chloe had in our mind the touristy things we wanted to do while we were there and we would do those things no matter what happened.

I've randomly started this blog talking about people rather than the things that we did as the girls basically made our week. Jess and Nicole were so friendly and cool, as were their family and friends that we automatically felt like we'd known each other for ages. I know this sounds like a Jess and Nic appreciation Society but I really don't care. We love them! 😊

Anyway, going back to more appropriate blog-like subjects (that was so inappropriate wasn't it Chloe?ha.) The day after we arrived we hit the beach. Oh yer... I think it may have been some kind of public holiday, Christmas was it? Not that you would have known. They were families and couples and groups of friends at the beach without a turkey, cracker or xmas hat in sight. It definately isn't as important here, they often call it the 'Silly Season' and we've rarely heard a Xmas song playing on the radio or in stores. It was a surreal feeling being in the sun, on a beach, on Xmas day. Its not right somehow. But we certainly didn't complain!

The next day the four of us headed up to the Blue Mountains. After a rather scenic route through the city where we spotted many funny people (including the next Chris Brown, but not for his looks or singing abilities, I'll leave you to work it out) we arrived in the Blue Mountains. I don't want to say it was a dissapointment because we had a brilliant day and the views and the mountains were amazing but it certainly was different than we expected. Lets just say, more commercial. There's a wacking great motorway up to them, not the scenic windy roads we expected. There's massive towns, not the cute little mountain villages we expected. And there was a huge commercial 'Scenic World' not the little family run train ride down the mountain like we expected. Plus, there were THOUSANDS of people there. After a few look outs and a short walk we'd had enough of shoving other tourists out of the way and headed home.

The next day we went into the city. We did some sale shopping along George street where me and Chloe tried to get a couple of warm items ready for New Zealand. Later on we went to Darling Harbour and had a walk around there and then headed onto Circular Quay i.e. THE OPERA HOUSE. You wouldn't beleive how excited I got EVERY time I looked at the Opera House. I had a moment of, I'm actually here, I'm in Australia! It must be one of THE most photographed buildings. Any time Australia is pictured, there's a picture of the Opera House. It pretty much IS Australia. Its was really hard to get a good photo of it unfortunately as there's always people or posts in the way plus we were the wrong side of it to get the infamous shot of the Opera house with the Harbour Bridge behind. But still AMAZING. I know its just a building but I think its definately a highlight. Near Circlular Quay is also an area called the Rocks which has really cute buildings and cafes and shops. In the evening we met up with some more girls and went for dinner, then we went for a drink at the Opera Bar. I'm not going to lie, even though I'm nearly 21 I sometimes still feel like a child, but having a lovely Opera White Tea Cocktail at the posh Opera Bar made me feel pretty grown up. The fact that I pretty much am grown up is neither here nor there.

The next day we went back into the City and had a late Breakfast/ (by the time we got in) late Lunch at Pancake on the Rocks. We were all ravenous but still struggled to eat every bit of the massive cake like pancakes. We then headed onto Bondi Baby! This beach didn't get old but for a different reason. Wow, just...wow. Its packed with people and a lot of beautiful people at that. (Yes!) We literally just sat and watched. And then walked and watched. And then went down on to the beach and walked and watched. I could go on all day but my Dad will be reading this.Ha.

We also went to Australia Bethel while in Sydney and had lunch there which I've never done before so that was really cool. We met some really lovely people and as is always the case we met some people who knew the same people as us which was pretty wierd.

I'm going to stop writing this day by day as I'm boring myself let alone the rest of you. The weekend we went to Melbourne, Victoria. Say it with me? Melbourne....lets try again. Melbourne. For all you English readers who have not yet been corrected, it's Mel-burn not Mel-born. Not even Mel-burn to be honest, more Mel-bn if you can imagine that.ha. Melbourne was a really lovely city. Everyone says its like London and I know what they mean. It seems more cosmopolitan in Melbourne than Sydney with quirky art work on the street and its little side streets. We visited St.Kilda while we were there which almost reminded me of a sunny Camden with a beach. People there were a lot more different as were the shops and bars.

While we were there we also did The Great Ocean Road with our friend Levi and the cutest couple known to man Marcus and Shara. We didn't manage to make it to the Famous Twelve Apostles as it was so far but we still saw lovely gorgeous views. It was such a lovely day, really sunny and warm. We had a lovely evening back at Marcus and Shara's full of food, wine and foosball. What more could you want?

If you know anything about Melbourne and the surrounding area you probably will have heard its weather is unpredictable, four seasons in one day. Pretty much England to be honest. Well, we were very lucky as the whole weekend was hot. And when I say hot I mean HOT. Would you beleive it, the hottest weather we experience in the whole time we've been here is in 'rubbish weather Melbourne'. To help you imagine it...it was 40degrees. 40! And guess what? Levi's car breaks down due to over heating. We had to walk what felt like miles to a shop that didn't have coolant. It was so hot that I started to fall asleep as we waited for a taxi. We got a taxi to the supermarket but then we decided to walk all the way back to the car. Hypercondriact time again...I thought I was going to die. It was the hottest weather I've ever experienced in my life, the wind was even hotter, like a heater blowing in your face, and we were practically doing a hike in it. So much sweat.ha.

This happened on what shall be called 'Neighbours day'. Yes we went to Ramsey Street. We saw the actual street, the school plus a bit of the outside set at the studios. It was pretty cool, even if I haven't watched Neighbours for about 2 years. Chloe was nearly wetting herself with excitement.ha. After the tour we met the actress who played Janelle Timmins, who I kind of recognised whilst Chloe turned into a crazy screamy 'I CANT BELIEVE ITS HER' fan. Levi picked us up, cue breakdown. After we finally got home and showered it was time to head out again to the 'Night out with Neighbours'. Yep, we proper geeked it up. I'm not even ashamed because to be honest the Evening thing was pretty fun. It was at a pub where we had a quiz and there were lots of normal people there which was relieving. We met Sky Mangal, and neighbours royalty Libby Kennedy and yes, Dr Karl Kennedy. I was pretty excited by this point. He was soooo nice! Then after the quiz and photos Karls band played. They were actually really good but it was kinda of surreal seeing Dr Karl rocking it out on stage.

We got back to Sydney and stayed at the same house but with the actual owners. Two lovely couples, Carly and Justin and Cheryl and Clint, and of course baby Jackson. Yesterday we had a pretty amazing day in Sydney. We did the Harbour Bridge Climb! Yes its expensive but man is it amazing. It was so hot we were only allowed to wear underwear underneath the boiler suit we had to wear. Plus we got a hankerchief to wipe sweat away with. Nice. Luckily there was enough of a breeze blowing so we didn't need to use it. The views were incredible and we just couldn't beleive we were there! We were staring down at the Opera House whilst standing on top of the Harbour bridge. Incredible. The walk wasn't as hard as I was starting to think it might be as we looked up at it. Worse was coming down as you were suddenly aware that if you fell you'd now be falling down rather than up. So we didn't see much of the view on the way down as we were staring at our feet.

Tomorrow we're off to New Zealand. Its so wierd that all of our Australian part of our trip is over. Its scary how fast its gone and pretty sad. We know 3 weeks is a long time in NZ but leaving Aus will be wierd. Me and Chloe still aren't that homesick but we did say yesterday that if we weren't going to NZ we woud start to feel like going home. I think its a really good time to move on, do something different. More than 2 months I think you start to feel like your living here and thats when you think of home.

I'm not sure what time I'll have to do blogs in New Zealand but hopefully I will. If not I'll do one when I get home with all our experiences in NZ.

See you all sooooooon!xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 27


Advertisement

We found Mr Shuffle!We found Mr Shuffle!
We found Mr Shuffle!

This was one of the tramps we were with when we slept in Central Station and we found him wandering the streets


6th January 2012

blog
great blog really helps to see and hear what you've been doing ! Have a great time in NZ stay safe loads of love Mum xxxx
9th January 2012

Sounds like you are having a fab time... I am very jealous reading all about what you are doing. Wish we were back there. If you thought Oz was beautiful then you are going to be blown away in New Zealand... enjoy! Can't wait to see you when you are back xxxx

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb