A night at the Casino


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
December 30th 2011
Published: January 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

The excitement is building - seriously not long now until the big day, ie tomorrow. I'm literally in a pickle - I can't wait for the fireworks but at the same time, will be so sad because the fireworks mark the half way point of my world trip. As some would refer to Wednesdays during the standard working week, it's 'hump' day. All downhill from thereon in. I need to see the positives - that I still have 4 countries to visit, two of which are brand spanking new to me. I can't be too miserable!

I took myself off to Bondi Junction for a spot of sale shopping to cheer me up. I didnt get past the sushi place where I stopped and delayed the venturing into the crowds for an hour. Sushi consumed, and I found a maxi dress, marked as 20 dollars but sold to me for 10, which would be perfect for my planned new years eve in the Sydney Botanic Gardens. A real day-to-night number, so I'm happy with that little purchase. The only problem is now that for every purchase I make, another item currently in the suitcase needs to be ditched to meet the baggage allowance for my flight to New Zealand. I've got a month to decide though - travelling on the road until then so that's fine.

Despite wanting to get my hair done, a pedicure squeezed in etc, I managed none of it, and headed back to Bondi in a hurry to get ready and meet Marie, friend from Christmas day at Bondi, at Darling Harbour. Tonight we're having dinner and then heading to Star City to go to the casino - on a backpacker's budget, it's not going to be an extravagant affair, but maybe I'll find myself a high rolling rich man there....

A lovely Thai meal at Thai Foon overlooking the Harbour, plus copious amounts of cocktails later, and we were off. Star City is a huge entertainment complex, of which one floor is entirely the casino. Machine after machine after machine lay ahead, as well as far too many roulette, poker etc tables with minimum stakes of $5. We tried to get ourselves thrown out by taking photos of the floor to ceiling fish tanks, before heading off to lay our bets.

Success followed - as well as unwanted attention from high rollers, but not handsome ones. I told one lot I was 42, and that Marie (46) was the same age as me. They told us we both looked 30. I didn't know whether or not that was a compliment or not, given our 12 year age gap. We declined their offers of dinner, drinks etc and attempted to hide somewhere else. Played on the 1c machines, not knowing what the hell we were doing, and then tried our luck at roulette. While Marie was at the bar, buying the bargainous $8 vodka, fresh lime and lemonades we were drinking, I increased by $50 original wad of chips to $175 purely by playing conservatively. I then started having too much fun and blew the lot, which was even more fun. My budget hadn't been exceeded and I'd had a scream.

I didn't find the handsome high roller I hoped for but then again, who wants a man that is gambling constantly?! There's only one winner and that's the casino - boy I'd love to find out what they cashed up at the end of the night. On my table alone, people were blowing hundreds of dollars on each spin of the wheel. Never seen anything like it in my life. Hugely fun night but not one I'll be doing again in a hurry - unless I stumble across a winning lottery ticket and don't mind losing a grand. Or two...

P.S. Happy birthday Grandad - still miss you every day xxxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0647s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb