Newtown Festival & Sculptures by the Sea


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
November 13th 2011
Published: November 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

On Sunday (13th Nov) we ventured away from our mountain home and into the inner city to attend The Newtown Festival and then to the eastern suburbs to have a look at Sculptures by the Sea.

Newtown Festival

The Newtown Festival is organized by Newtown Neighbourhood Centre, and featured a range of activities including music stages, a kids and family zone, Writers Stage, Street Theatre and Art Spaces, the Newtown Festival Dog Show, a diverse mix of market stalls, food from around the globe and people watching opportunities aplenty.

All money raised goes back to the Newtown Neighbourhood Centre, which supports services to the local community. According to the centre they provide services to the aged, people with disabilities, people with mental illness, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds and people on low incomes.

Sculptures by the Sea

We got a great parking spot, timing is everything, and we celebrated a small joy as some one departed just as we arrived. The walkway between Tamarama and Bondi was very crowded, but it was still a pleasant stroll and the sculptures were varied and interesting.

Some of the works included “the Golden Buddha’s Seaside Holiday” , a pile of fire wood stacked to look like a house, a huge tap, three Easter Island looking statues called “heads up”, a piece called “the search for alice” and various other offerings.

Alice was apparently an Elephant that featured in a fun park that was located in the area; it closed in 1911 after going bust. Some think Alice was shot and buried on the site? You can read more about that in this article from 2008 … Avenue to Wonderland

Back to Newtown – Dinner with Chung & John

After our wander along the foreshore we went back to Newtown. We met with Chung and John for dinner and to catch up now that Chung has finished her studies. They talked about their plans for when they return to Vietnam and the experiences they have had while in Australia. We will miss them when they return home.



Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Newtown FestivalNewtown Festival
Newtown Festival

Burma Campiagn Australia stall
Newtown FestivalNewtown Festival
Newtown Festival

live Karoake


Tot: 0.234s; Tpl: 0.041s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1.1mb