so much walking...so many stairs


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
May 25th 2006
Published: May 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

So we've been busy seeing and doing these past two days. Up until recently, we've refused to use the subway system because everything's just a 20-30 minute walk from our hostel. But tie that into walking around everywhere else all day and we finally gave in and took the underground system last night for going out.

I'm not really sure what it's called here...I keep wanting to call it the metro because it's really similar to DC's system, complete with similar fare cards. But no two cities have the same name for a subway. (okay...maybe there are 2, but no more.)

Before I fill you in on what's been going down since I last wrote...a quick question to answer as per Brendan's request. Just which way do the toilets flush? The answer....the toilet water just kind of disappears in no direction. I've been doing countless experiments trying to get water to go down the drain, but there drains seem to be designed to foil curious tourists. I'll keep you posted as soon as I found out definitively if the water drains clockwise like us, or counter clockwise.

So, Tuesday was the Blue Mountains. Ronit and I just barely caught the 8:55 train out to Leura (we had less than a minute to spare). The train ride was nice...through the suburbs and finally to the mountains. We saw our first wild kangoroos from the train window!! Although, after going to the zoo yesterday, I've learned that they may have been wallabies...which are smaller. But I couldn't figure out what the difference is. They're both marsupials and look an aweful lot alike, aside from size. But I digress...
We got to Leura and headed straight for the Information desk. Okay. I lied. We headed straight for the first place to sell coffee. And THEN we headed straight for the infromation desk where we tried to get information (imagine that). I really felt that we were in some sort of monty python sketch because the guy working at the INFORMATION desk really had no idea how to help us. All we wanted to do was find a nice good hike and be on our merry way. Instead...he gave us some brochures and convinced us to get on a tour bus that will take us to the highlights of the Blue Mtns and we can find a trail from there. We were about to get on said tour bus when Ronit panicked cause she saw old people on it and we devised a new plan. Luckily some of the brochures had some useful maps and we found a way to walk from Leura to the Prince Henry Cliff Trail that walks along the cliffside in the Blue Mtns with stunning views of Mt. Gibralter (the highest mountain in the southern range) and the 3 sisters...a famous landmark dubbed by the aboriginals. The hike and views were phenomenal. There were amazing lookouts, some waterfalls, and we even saw some really cook exotic birds in the wild.
We ended up the hike in Katoomba where we ate a very full meal and then grabbed the next train back.

Which brings us to yesterday...Wednesday. Which, as I aluded to before, took us to the zoo. But not before strolling through the Royal Botanic Gardens. There we watched the flying foxes (also known as fruit bats) bickering again. They just can't seem to get along. But they are all over the place in the gardens. After our stroll (which included some tree-hugging and talking to birds, both encouraged by the garden's keepers), and a run in with an interesting character named Rambo (who carries around a picture of him meeting President Clinton in front of the Sydney Opera House), we made our way to the Circular Quay to catch the ferry out to the zoo. The zoo was super cool. It's set right on the water with great views of the Sydney Harbor. Plus...there are a lot of Australian animals that I've never seen before. I got to see more kangoroos. Some koalas (even got pictures with them, but no cuddling...). A Wallaby (which Ronit describes as a big hamster), an Echidna (same thing as an anteater, I believe), and a Platypus! Platypuses are so cute. Apparently, they've set up the platypus house so that it's night during the day and day during the night. Since platypuses are nocturnal, they are then active for tourists. Unfortunately, it means its really dark in there, but still cool.

After spending much longer than anticipated at the aquarium, we made our way back. We had high hopes for a Rocks tour, but there wasn't enough time. Instead we rushed to the Outback Center for a free didgeridoo show. Way cool...the guy doing it had an interesting history and explained the didgeridoo techniques as he was going. Which made it all the more enjoyable.

To sum up the rest of the day, cause I'm tired of writing and want to get breakfast and get a move on....

Dinner, rugby watching and beer at the 3 Wize Monkeys and then a live band at the 3 Wize Monkeys (it was recommended for live music). Good Times.

Today should be busy....there's a lot of turf left to cover before we leave Sydney tomorrow.

TTFN


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb