Dust Storm.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
September 26th 2009
Published: September 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Guess by now most of you will be bored to death with pictures of the dust storm that hit last week, so, just to annoy you, here are a few more. By all accounts it took most of the top soil from what’s left of the Australian farming industry to create this. The cloud stretched right the way to Brisbane apparently and at one point they thought they’d be having red snow in New Zealand because of it.

It was pretty freaky; at 6am it looked like we were going to have to put up with a few years of nuclear winter and start shooting looters. The media loved it of course and we had the female version of Kent Brockman standing by the bridge for hour after hour telling us the blindingly obvious whilst the rest of the country thought it was a pretty good excuse to chuck a sickie.

Had planed to mess about on the ferries and have a walk around Bondi, but the advice was to stay inside, so I went around the Art Gallery of NSW instead. Worth a visit just for their Aboriginal collection. The excellent free tours make it a must. By the time I’d got through being all cultured, the skies had cleared enough to eat lunch in Hyde Park with the Missus. There was a layer of dust on everything though, (in fact it was almost like snow in one tiny section of a roundabout when we left home, tyre tracks through it and slushy looking). That’s not to say there was much of it, but it did cover your shoes and trousers.

All very entertaining all in all, especially the weird phosphorescence it threw up on the water by the Opera House.

Had another minor one today, but it was much more orangey than red this time. Hopefully that’s it for a bit, because, although is a bit of a laugh, the bloody stuff gets every where and you can’t be a domestic goddess with half the outback in the house.



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



26th September 2009

Bin dusty
Hello Captn. thanks for the message and the great photo's. We were in Cyprus when an incident like this occurred and dust blew in from Africa, all very spooky. Glad you were still able to see around Sydney anyway and we also thought the art museum was great. Made one quite whistfull seing all those lovely "haunts". Hope you two are well and good news about Monty, love from all this way and look forward to seeing you on monday. 88's de G0WJV

Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0214s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb