The Flight


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
September 4th 2005
Published: September 6th 2005
Edit Blog Post

The Flight

It’s a hazy dim memory. Car seats that didn’t fit into coach class. Cheerios sailing through the air. Pipe cleaners and pom poms and popsicle sticks. Car seats that did fit into business class, but little girls refusing to sit in them. More cheerios, but mixed, thankfully, with free business class wine.

It wasn’t so bad I guess. I can’t recommend flying to Australia with a baby, but all things considered it was bearable. The leg from Bos to LA was fairly miserable when our upgrade fell through. But we managed to fashion a bed out of the plane seat and A actually slept for 3 hours.

Our day in LA was quite fun. We Californiaed ourselves about all day. A rode her first carousal at the pier at Santa Monica and we had lunch at the In N Out burger right by the airport where A could watch the planes land. We took in as much sun and fun as we could before the 15 hour trek.

The flight from LA to Syd was just flat out long. L-O-N-G. We had just managed to get A to sleep on the floor (we had bulkhead) with pillows and blankets all around her to keep her tight when there was the briefest of turbulence. Like 2 little puffy bumps. But a busybody flight attendant came over and told me, “You know you have to hold her now, the seatbelt light is on.” I replied, “Are you serious? Do you want her to scream and wake up everyone in business class?” To which she snarled, “Do what you want, but she might hit the ceiling, it’s very dangerous.”

Following her kind advice I did do what I wanted and I made the choice to chance that A might ‘hit the ceiling’ a good 6 feet above her, and Les and I both finally took a nap.

Les discovered that A likes to have her feet massaged. So the final hour of the flight we both held a foot (she was in her car seat at this point) and rubbed away.

And so two days after we left Boston we arrived, exhausted at the level of road kill weary, but excited to see our new country and ready to let one very moist footed little girl get some fresh air!


Advertisement



8th September 2005

flight
so the car seat didn't fit, eh? but sounds like it went as well as could be expected or better. you must have been exhausted from trying to keep A quiet and contained. Can't imagine!

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb