Pit stop in Sydney


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
April 28th 2007
Published: April 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sunday night (22nd of april) we flew from Bali to Sydney. It was a short and pleasant flight even though I didn't sleep.

By the time we got to Sydney it was raining and basically didn't stop for 3 days. Everyone we met assured us that this much rain is very unusual for Sydney... whatever. It was much colder than Bali and it was not fun to resettle as "traveller" after the luxury weeks in Bali. However, Sydney is an amazing city and it was great to walk for more than 10 minutes without being sweaty all over.

The first day we got to the hostel and made our own breakfast for the first time in 2 months. In the afternoon we met up with my cousin Mark for coffee, walked around Circular Quay and then met up with Mark for dinner.

Tuesday it was raining even harder than monday, so we decided to do sightseeing by bus. We spent several hours on the busses called Sydney explorer and Bondi explorer. This was a great way to see all the sights without getting all wet. In the afternoon we went to Wildlife World in Darling harbour. It's like a zoo but it's all in a big hall. It was fun to see squids, koalas, kangaroos, wombats and all kind of snakes and spiders there are in Autralia.

Wednesday was Anzac Day ,a public holiday and big drinking day in Australia. In the morning we did a ride on the monorail and then watched the parade for Anzac Day. After walking around the Opera House and strolling trough the Botanical Gardens we decided to escape the rain and went back to the hostel for a nap. In the evening we met up with Mark in order to experience some Anzac Day atmosphere. We went to a pub, drank Australian beer and played some game with coins, which is only played that day. We also met some of Mark's friend and had great fun going out in Sydney.

Thursday it was - thank God - sunny! The weather was great so we decided to take a ferry to Manly. We spent some time at the beach, had lunch and bought some postcards. Back at Circular Quay we met up with Mark for coffee again. That day I had far too much coffee, I couldn't fall asleep at night. Maybe it was due to the upcoming flight.

Friday we went to the airport in good time. After checking in we still had time for lunch and some shopping. The flight to L.A. was 13 hours long, but it went by quite fast. We didn't sleep but it was okay, since there were so many movies that we hadn't seen and wanted to watch. So I saw Marie-Antoinette and Little Miss Sunshine ( I love that movie). I started on some other movies but gave up after some minutes and listened to some music instead. We crossed the date line and the equator on our flight. It was night for a couple of hours and we experienced sunset as well as sunrise. At 10am local time we arrived in L.A. The worst part of the journey was probably U.S. customs. The line was huge... But we finally made it and got a cab to Venice beach. Unfortunately, Philipp now has the cold (not too bad, but he prefers to stay in bed). At least now I have a lot of time to write my blog.

I'll keep you updated.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



29th April 2007

My beloved Sydney....but rain in Sydney? that's really strange ;) must be because of autumn. Have a nice time in L.A.!
30th April 2007

Heli-Phipu around the world
Dearest Heli and Phipu we both wish you a pleasant world trip and a lot of wonderfull events durig your long travelling time. With the very best regards from See and Roli Mazenauer, Ban-Pong, Kanchanaburi, Thailand

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.034s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb