Australian Zoo - Cricky!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
April 20th 2007
Published: April 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

New Word: Mozzie - dipterous insects of the family Culicidae, the females of which suck the blood of animals, humans and in particular Uncle Ralpie and Auntie Becky.



Yesterday we pulled into the Glass Mountain area, to be more precise, the Shire of Beerwah. The reason for our excursion off of the Bruce Motorway is the Austrailian Zoo - Made notable by the former Steve "Crocodile Hunter" Irwin. But more about that in a moment.

Glass Mountain area reminds me a bit of Thailand. I think it is because of the volcanic crags which emerge from the humid green surroundings. The first thing I thought of when I saw them was "boy wouldn't A2 love to climb those!" Our campsite is located in the centre of this beautiful landscape. The owner of the site has expanded the natural pond area which has attracted a variety of bird life but also swarms of mozzies. This is the first area that we, and we mean we, have had problems with mosquitos. Next off to the chemist to purchase insecticide and no-itch.


The Zoo opens up at 9:00 am so I was up at 5:30 am; still rising with the sun. We were ready to go by 6:30 am; swatting mozzies until we left at 8:20 am; at the the zoo's parking lot by 8:30 am; at the enterence by 8:35 am chatting gaily with the security guard. The gaurd gave us the inside scoop on how to navigate the park and what good info it was, we certainly had time to spare after our 6 1/2 hour walk-about.

Australian Zoo's motto is "Consevation Through Exciting Education". They certainly delivered. The park is very clean and the animals are well loved.

Andreas and I both thought the cuttest animal was the Wombat - Thank goodness Ebby can't read this!




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Ducks Lined UpDucks Lined Up
Ducks Lined Up

At the campervan park in Beerwah
Australian ZooAustralian Zoo
Australian Zoo

Rebecca petting a wallaby
Australian Zoo - Land Tortise HarrietAustralian Zoo - Land Tortise Harriet
Australian Zoo - Land Tortise Harriet

Harriet was collected from the Galapagos Islands in 1835 by Sir Charles Darwin when she was just the size of a dinner plate.


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb