A Bridge Too Far For Priscilla


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
January 8th 2007
Published: January 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sydney Harbour BridgeSydney Harbour BridgeSydney Harbour Bridge

The view from Miller's Point
Sydney! Whilst in our opinion second best to Melbourne in many ways, you can't take away the magnificent geographical position it possess. You can never get bored of looking at the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House from every conceivable angle.

We arrived on the overnight XPT train from Melbourne - not exactly the most comfortable night's sleep, but anything to save a dollar or two at this stage, as it saved paying for a night in a hostel. We headed straight to the Wattle House in Glebe - our preferred Sydney venue and still probably the finest hostel in all of Australia (the double rooms come complete with king size bed, dressing gowns and a teddy bear) - dropped off the gear and backup to the SCG in Surrey Hills. There was only the likelihood of a couple of hour's play before the 5-0 whitewash was completed, but tickets were still exchanging hands at face value fueled by the Aussie's desire to see the clinching moment. A bit of patience was rewarded with two freebies, so we got in for the final runs, presentation and speeches.

As there was no 5th Day of the cricket, there was plenty of time on our hands to take in harbour views from the previously mentioned numerous angles.

The next "major" sporting event was Terry Butcher's Sydney FC versus the basement club of the A League, New Zealand Knights - 16,040 turned up at Aussie Stadium for the anticipated home victory, but New Zealand inspired by their imports, Neil Emblem, super sub Scott Gemmill and our old friend Dean Gordon (see Blog Whales & Sandflies November 11) held on for an unlikely 1-0 win.

Miranda's ticket purchase selection was somewhat different - the musical Priscilla Queen of the Desert. The show was colourful! The promotional literature describes the dazzling musical as "fun, daring, over the top and unforgetable". Miranda has strictly forbidden me from any other comment.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Sydney Harbour BridgeSydney Harbour Bridge
Sydney Harbour Bridge

The view from Miller\'s Point
SydneySydney
Sydney

Luna Park
SCG SCG
SCG

....just after the historic 5 - 0 whitewash was achieved in the 5th Test


Tot: 0.546s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 40; qc: 197; dbt: 0.3475s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.8mb