Jerusalem in Sydney


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Manly
June 24th 2014
Published: July 5th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Jerusalem in Sydney



Hanging in Sydney before, between and after breakaways to the Red Centre Outback and down south of Sydney did not have too much of the touristy things. We’ve done them all before. For us it was more important to catch up with our family and friends and spend time with knee-hi’s. There was far too little of that. Here where I sit on the other side of the continent where I am writing this I feel sad about that.



As usual the photos should give a glimpse into our walkabouts but a lot of the things we did not even photograph because we simply have so many pics of that already.



It was lovely spending time with the kids, my brother and his lovely wife, catching up with old school friends, old running companions.



There are incidents that warmed my heart.



Target shooting into an old box with a knee-hi. A cosy pizza and wine evening with the kids.
Getting onto a downtown train and hearing this soft music; upon closer inspection 5 ladies were sitting facing each other, each with a musical score-sheet and busy with choir practise; singing Jerusalem. There was such a peaceful atmosphere in the compartment. I regret not asking them if I can take a pic.
Getting off the train in evening rush-hour and watching some businessmen dressed in their business best (they are quite formal in Sydney, wearing suits and ties ) helping a wizened old Japanese couple; one with a walker, out of the train, up the station steps and carrying their shopping bags and the little old lady herself.
The friendliness of the shop assistants.
Family day Sundays; whole families out walking, cycling,
The clean environment, waters, walkways
Dinner with Marinda and her family<li style="color:� font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'; font-size: 11pt; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal;">
Lunch with Peter and at last meeting Lorraine
Drunk teenagers on the train at midnight having good fun; interviewing each other and when they saw we were enjoying it; drawing old grandpa Jurie into the circle as well. It was such a laugh.
Peaceful mornings and long walks with Mark and Merle, late night rugby.
A new one for us on the tourist front: Sydney Showboat. It was a pleasant relaxed evening.
Just wandering downtown in and out of our favourite bookstores, we are strong supporters of Apple, Dymocks and that funny Japanese bookstore. See pic.



Additional photos below
Photos: 63, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Stroll thru Meadowbank neighbourhoodStroll thru Meadowbank neighbourhood
Stroll thru Meadowbank neighbourhood

including Sydney Olympic Park and Bicentennial area


5th July 2014

Thanks (again) for sharing
I love reading your blog and seeing your photos, Cilla. Your words give a real sense of place and of your feelings at the time, especially fleeting moments, like hearing people singing softly on a train. I also like your close observation of people that you'll never see again (probably, although you never know!), like the wizened Japanese lady... I am looking forward to the next instalment already.

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb