From NZ to OZ - SYDNEY


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Leichhardt
December 12th 2009
Published: December 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Angela's Bridge Walk 41 secs
And so to Sydney where we dropped into Bev and Andrew’s world and it’s fair to say we hit the ground running. They live in a brilliant location that is a short bus ride from the centre of Sydney and is within half a mile of over 50 eateries of almost every nationality. We had Greek, Italian, Japanese and Thai as well as a delicious BBQYO (barbecue your own) filet mignon and a fabulous home-cooked lamb BBQ (both BBQs expertly cooked by Andrew it has to be said). Oz operates a BYO (bring your own) wine policy and bottle shops spring up wherever the restaurants are; you can supply your own wine and the food is relatively cheap so it’s really easy to go out to eat - which means you never have to cook unless you want to.
We had five full days in Sydney during which time Bev and Andrew kindly organized our itinerary so that we made the most of our short time there. It was so much easier that wading through guide books and flyers trying to work out where to go and how to get there. We saw the two iconic symbols, the opera house and the bridge, within 10 minutes of arriving. We had a lovely meal with their family, Danny and Olivia, on the first night and we had a laugh with their friends at a meat raffle in a pub on the second night. On the Saturday we all took a ferry to Manly which is a mainland spit with a beautiful sheltered inland bay on one side and a gorgeous sandy ocean beach on the other. On the Sunday we all went to the Blue Mountains where the British chap was reported as missing recently - a bit suspect according to the locals. We also went to the Jenolan caves which are another amazing feature of the Blue Mountains.
On week days, Harry and I caught local buses to the city, which we liked because you both get the time to look at the views and watch the world go by. We spent days strolling round the opera house and eating at its al-fresco bar with a view of the bridge, walking across the bridge, sitting at the quayside area and taking in the city’s commercial/government district - and a few shops.
We also took a bus to Coogee Beach and walked the world famous 2½ hour walk along magical sandy bays to Bondi Beach. Bondi Beach did not disappoint. When we saw it we were bowled over and couldn’t stop taking pictures. I stood on the shore happily taking videos of the surfers but unfortunately it went pear-shaped and none of them came out. So many people were having a ball, but surprisingly few were using any kind of sunshade or hat. Unlike us. We were the most covered-up people to be seen for miles - which people who know us well will appreciate!
Then I dared myself to do the bridge walk which involves wearing an attractive grey boiler suit, being harnessed to the bridge and walking along the top span of the bridge to the middle where the two enormous flags are. Harry generously spent 3½ hours waiting for me to complete the climb (which involves going to the top, crossing to the other side, then coming back down to where you started from). It’s amazingly well organized and safe and as long as you’re not too bothered by heights, it’s great - except that they keep stopping to take photos that they hope you’ll buy at extortionate prices. In fairness, they do give you one photo as part of the deal.
I’ll stop waxing lyrical now and sign off, but not before thanking Bev and Andrew again for making our stay in Sydney such fun. If anyone wants their details we can supply them for a price, but you need to be aware that they will do their best to lead you Astraylian (as opposed to Australian) but you’d love it.

BY THE WAY - WE'VE HAD PROBLEMS UPLOADING STILL PHOTOS TO THIS BLOG (WHICH MIGHT BE BECAUSE OF THE ATTACHED VIDEO) SO WE'LL DO A SEPARATE BLOG FOR THEM.

Next blog will be ‘G’day from Perth’ and a delightful Phelps family wedding.
Au Bevoir for now - A & H xx


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.032s; cc: 15; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb