Day 90 - Sydney Mardi Gras


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Kings Cross
March 4th 2006
Published: March 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today the area was buzzing with excitement and crowds of brightly dressed people, all on their way to either spectate or participate in the Mardi Gras. Apparently it attracts over half a million people and I could well believe it, judging by the crowds. Fortunately we found a good place to view the procession on Flinders Street. We envied the people on the apartment balconies having private partys, with great views. First past were the Dykes on Bikes, pretty self explanatory with some mean looking 'ladies' roaring past on their motorcycles, three-wheelers and even scooters. The main procession came along with lots of people in fabulous costumes, pumping music, fireworks and a huge variety of floats. The crowd was buzzing and their was a real party atmosphere. When the final float came by it was 10pm and we danced to music coming from the sound system of a giant video screen. Walked back to the hostel, got changed, then walked to Hyde Park where we were told people were gathering, although nothing was going on and I wanted to go to a night club that I'd seen advertised, Hed Kandi at The Tank club. It was a long way across town and we didn't really know where it was, but miraculously we found it, but it was guestlist entry only :-( Our luck held as we were then ushered in past the queue! Obviously they knew we were VIPs ;-) Bought a bottle of wine and danced until 3am.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Miss/Mr! UniverseMiss/Mr! Universe
Miss/Mr! Universe

Are they real? You decide!


Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb