Happy New Year!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Harbourside
January 1st 2008
Published: January 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Happy 2008 everyone!!!

We started our day early yesterday, dressing in Fluro (a big theme here it seems). I had a fluorescent pink vest top, a fluorescent yellow head band and a fluorescent green wrist band, hehe.

We met at 10.30 at Central and then got the train down to Circular Quay. We found our spot for the fireworks - we got a GREAT place, right in front of Harbour Bridge, at the front! The Opera House was just to our right. It was the best spot ever!!!

The Fluro group was in good spirits - Me, Heather, Ollie, Clare, Simone, Jamie, Darren, Michelle, Michael, Zoe, Jen, Rache and Maggie. We had brought Sharpies (marker pens) so we all started signing each others shirts. I am going to keep it forever! Happy memories.

We spent the first few hours just sitting, chatting, eating food (and in my case, getting sunburned).

Then Heather, Simone and I decided to go to the pub to meet up with Harriet, Niki, Mark and some others. Had a few drinks with them, and also managed to find Lizzie, Sam and their friend Louise, so the group just ended up with about 30 or 40 of us which was excellent!

In the afternoon, Michelle got out the facepaint and I had a Scottish flag on one cheek and an English flag on the other - it looked cool!

The day wore on and we were in and out, in and out, getting stopped by security guards and having to convince them that we DID have a spot saved that we'd been in all morning (idiots - they said we needed a re-admission stamp to get back in but then they said they couldn't give us one on the way out as they didn't have one!). Luckily, a nice security guard recognised our fluorescent shirts with writing all over and let us back in!

The kids fireworks were at 9pm and everyone loved that - they played music and everyone was frantically taking photos, jumping around dancing and generally spirits were high.

Everyone then just sat around talking, smoking, eating, drinking until midnight...the egg-timer on Harbour Bridge was gradually counting down, and at about 11.40, everyone starting moving forward to the railings for the big moment.

The first firework went up and it was 2008! I stood there, just like WOW...couldn't quite believe I was there. After 15 years of being obsessed with Australia and wanting more than anything to go, this was it. Crazy. I just watched the fireworks, took a ton of photos and just tried to take it all in...but it was too overwhelming. I shall look back at the photos today...and maybe then it'll sink in!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1287s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb