G’Day Mate – Sydney, Australia – February 2024


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » CBD
February 24th 2024
Published: February 24th 2024
Edit Blog Post

Sydney, spectacularly draped around its glorious harbor and beaches, has visual wow factor like few other cities. Scratch the surface and it only gets better. Cheeky, brash, intoxicating – this city has been naturally blessed like few other cities on Earth. A 40-mile string of glistening sandy beaches bracket one of the world’s most spectacular harbors: it’s an Australian icon, where getting outdoors is everything, whether you are surfing the waves, marveling on a coastal walk or al fresco dining on sumptuous seafood. This multicultural, hedonistic city has numerous districts to explore.



At some stage you’ll almost certainly end up at the Rocks - you haven’t really been to Sydney if you don’t. The Rocks, unrecognizable from the squalid place it was in the convict era, now serves as an "olde-worlde" tourist focus. There are a number of major Sydney sights in this very visitor-focused neighborhood including the Opera House, the Museum of Contemporary Art and the Royal Botanic Garden, but it’s also worth exploring away from the big-ticket attractions, strolling the characterful streets of Miller’s Point or admiring the waterfront perspectives offered by Barangaroo Reserve. Booking an Indigenous-led tour of the Botanic Garden or the Rocks area is highly recommended and will let you look beyond colonial history and begin to understand the ancient and profound relationship of the Gadigal people with this land. Considering returning here at night to down a beverage in a historic pub or catch a show at a Walsh Bay theater. Some of Sydney’s swankiest hotels and restaurants can also be found here, with some special harbor views on offer. The most spectacular way to get here is to get the train (or ferry) to Milson’s Point, then walk back into the Rocks across the Sydney Harbor Bridge (20 minutes). This gets you up close and personal with the city’s beloved "Coathanger," with the roar of traffic on your right and a glorious Sydney panorama on your left.



A Little Bit of History: The first people to inhabit the area now known as Sydney, were Aboriginal Australians who had migrated from northern Australia and before that from southeast Asia. Flaked pebbles found in Western Sydney's gravel sediments might indicate human occupation from 45,000 to 50,000 years BCE, while radiocarbon dating has shown evidence of human activity in the Sydney region from around 30,000 years ago. Prior to the arrival of the British, there were 4,000 to 8,000 Aboriginal people in the greater Sydney region. The traditional owners of the land on which modern Sydney stands are the Darug, Dharawal and Eora people. The modern history of the city began with the arrival of a First Fleet of British ships in 1788 and the foundation of a penal colony by Great Britain.

From 1788 to 1900, Sydney was the capital of the British colony of New South Wales. The town of Sydney was declared a city in 1842, and a local government was established. In 1901, the Australian colonies federated to become the Commonwealth of Australia, and Sydney became the capital of the state of New South Wales. Sydney today is Australia's largest city and a major international center of culture and finance. The city has played host to numerous international events, including the 2000 Summer Olympics.



Sydney is not the easiest city to get around, but its public transport network is reliable, reasonably priced and way more convenient than driving. But by far, the best way to enjoy getting around here is by taking a ferry or water taxi whenever possible. The city’s transport network is as complex as its road system, which grew organically, marrying disparate settlements around the harbor. Sydney Harbor Bridge connects the North Shore with the city, taking buses, cars and trains, as well as pedestrians and cyclists, across it and the Harbor Tunnel is an alternative vehicular crossing. Over the summer months, you'll find much of it is also air-conditioned, although there's nothing better than standing on the deck of a ferry crossing Sydney Harbor, soaking up the spectacular sights! Getting into the city from the airport you have three options if you’re not hiring a car there: train, shuttle, or taxi. Trains depart from beneath the terminal, which is well signposted, but the fare is pretty steep for the short journey into the city, considering you’ll then need to travel onwards to your destination. Airport shuttle buses cost around $22 per person and will drop you at your city-based hotel. If you’re in a group, it may be cheaper to grab a taxi. The fare from the airport into the city center and neighboring suburbs is around $50, which is economical when split between passengers.



For those “budget-minded” folks (of which I am definitely one), the HOHO (hop on-hop off) Big Bus Sydney is the best choice to see the city from the comfort of the open-air deck on these tourist buggies. Join a sightseeing tour by double-decker bus to discover the highlights of Sydney and Bondi Beach. Enjoy unobstructed views and recorded onboard commentary as you travel along two routes to top destinations like Harbor Bridge, Opera House, Darling Harbor, and Bondi Beach. Go in-depth at any given place by simply hopping off the bus to explore (this is exactly what I do in every city I visit that offers the HOHO bus tour). You can experience Sydney and Bondi's most noteworthy attractions at your own pace with your choice of ticket, valid for either 24 or 48 hours. Single day tickets begin around $40 for adults. There’s free Wifi onboard and with 34 stops on the combined routes, you’re spoilt for exploration choice. Tip: always ask for the senior discount – it doesn’t hurt to ask and no, they don’t ask for identification to prove age!



With such a wide array of things to do, places to see, bridges to climb etc. here in Sydney, out of everything I have experienced while in town, my absolute favorite is the day trip out to the Blue Mountains. These trips vary somewhat depending on the vendor – the one I chose was very content-rich at a cost of approximately $183 for the 12-hour roundtrip from central Sydney. My vendor’s trip description: Join a small group on this all-inclusive day trip from Sydney to the Blue Mountains with a local guide. Gaze at the rainforest on a guided walk in Scenic World, see the iconic Three Sisters from Echo Point, and meet endemic animals at the Featherdale Wildlife Park or Western Sydney Zoo. Begin your tour early at one of the meeting points, then set off on your adventure ahead of large groups. Arrive at Scenic World in the Blue Mountains and experience all the rides with your local guide. Ride the Scenic Railway into the rainforest, take the Skyway across the valley and see magnificent views of the waterfall and enjoy the Cableway. Skip some of the general queues and head straight to the rides. Take a stroll on a boardwalk through the rainforest and hear all about its ecosystem. Then, follow your guide to a cliff lookout and soak in panoramic views of the Jamison Valley, with its pink sandstone cliffs and eucalyptus-bound forests. Next, walk down the road to Echo Point and admire sweeping views of the Three Sisters rock formation from the lookout. Learn about its cultural significance from your guide. Then, time permitting, enjoy some time on your own wandering around and taking photos. After working up an appetite, tuck into lunch in the Blue Mountains. After your meal, continue to Featherdale Wildlife Park or Western Sydney Zoo to spend some time close to some of Australia's natives. Get a hands-on experience with native animals, including hand-feeding a kangaroo. After spending the day connecting with nature in the World Heritage-listed area of the Blue Mountains, Take a ferry back to Sydney along the Parramatta River. See landmarks such as the Sydney Harbor Bridge and end the trip at Barangaroo. There is so much packed into this 12-hour period your head spins, but it’s worth every penny for what you receive. Certainly you could break these locations out into separate trips, but for ease of sightseeing, this is the tour for you!



Any visit to this incredible city would be incomplete if the Sydney Opera House was not on your tourist agenda. It’s a multi-venue performing arts center located on the foreshore of Sydney Harbor and is widely regarded as one of the world's most famous and distinctive buildings and a masterpiece of 20th century architecture. Designed by Danish architect Jorn Utzon, the building was formally opened by Queen Elizabeth II on October 20, 1973, 16 years after Utzon's 1957 selection as winner of an international design competition. The building comprises multiple performance venues, which together host well over 1,500 performances annually, attended by more than 1.2 million people. Performances are presented by numerous performing artists, including three resident companies: Opera Australia, the Sydney Theatre Company, and the Sydney Symphony Orchestra. The building is home to seven indoor venues, along with several outdoor spaces used for events. Each venue provides unique and specific needs for various forms of performing arts.

As one of the most popular visitor attractions in Australia, the site is visited by more than eight million people annually, and approximately 350,000 visitors take a guided tour of the building each year. On June 28, 2007, the Sydney Opera House became a UNESCO World Heritage Site and was also a finalist in the New 7 Wonders of the World campaign list.



And of course, last but definitely not least on anyone’s “must see” list is the Harbor Bridge – go on admit it, you can’t wait to climb that thing! BridgeClimb has established itself as an integral part of the Sydney tourism industry and a key Australian attraction. Since October 1, 1998, this company has welcomed more than 4 million dare devils, from 140 different countries around the world, to scale the arches of Australia’s most famous landmark. They have created millions of iconic memories, hosted over 5,000 proposals and 30 weddings. The oldest climber (so far) is over 100 years old (the youngest being 8, obviously!) and their most frequent climber has reached the Summit an impressive 133 times!

They currently have 4 different Climb experiences, all reaching the Summit, running at dawn (limited departures), throughout the day, twilight and night. These include the original Summit Climb experience, the Summit Insider Climb, the Indigenous Storytelling Climb and The Ultimate Climb.

· Day Climb: Prices start at $114.80 for adults and $72.16 for children (8-15 years old).

· Twilight Climb: Prices start at $163.34 for adults and $97.74 for children.

· Night Climb: Prices start at around $175.66 for adults and $121.71 for children.

· Ultimate Climb: Prices are $239.47 for adults and $124.34 for children. This climb covers the entire bridge from south to north and back again. Above prices are at current exchange rates in February, 2024



The company has played host to many celebs at the Summit of the Bridge, including Derek Zoolander, aka Ben Stiller, Oprah Winfrey, Will Smith, Prince Harry, Matt Damon, Katy Perry, Nicole Kidman, Robert De Niro and Cate Blanchett, to name a few! Why not add your name to this illustrious list?

What To Know – Before You Go:

Sydneysiders, like most Australians, are genuinely friendly people – they just want visitors to have a good time and take fond memories with them when they go home. That said, there are some things to know about visiting one of Australia's most intriguing cities. Here are some tips to help you make the most of your time in Sydney, from packing lists to planning logistics to local etiquette.

1. There's no need to overpack - you won’t be embarrassed if you dress up or dress down. Sydneysiders are stylish, but they prefer to keep it casual, like they’ve stepped off a yacht on the way to the opera. It gets cool in winter, but not heavy coats kind of chilly – a warm sweater or light jacket should suffice unless there’s an unusually cold snap. (With that being said, visitors from cold-weather countries that are used to insulation and central heating may find it cold indoors in the winter. A pair of slippers won't go astray.) Summer is hot and humid. Pack an umbrella no matter what time of year you visit: rain is a given in this subtropical coastal city.

2. The best places should be booked in advance - much of what you will do in Sydney will depend on the weather, so too much pre-planning may result in last-minute itinerary changes anyway. You probably won’t go kayaking from Manly to a secret beach in high winds, and those rooftop sundowners are less fun in a heavy downpour. That said, if there are any destination restaurants you really want to go to, such as Quay or Oncore by Clare Smyth, book at least a few months ahead. The best accommodations will also get snapped up, especially in high season (the Australian summer months of December to February), so get that completed as soon as possible.

3. People really are friendly - Sydney may be on a par with London, New York and Paris when it comes to big cities with big reputations. However, it seems that the combination of sunshine, space and an outdoorsy waterside lifestyle has made Sydneysiders generally happy and friendly – most of the time. Be prepared to be asked all manner of personal questions whether you're waiting for a bus or picking up some supplies at the local store. If you're used to living somewhere where people mind their own business, it may take you a few days to thaw out, but you'll soon find yourself smiling at everyone you pass on the Bondi to Bronte walk or asking a stranger "what's in the bag?" like a local.

4. Tips for taking public transport including ferries - let everyone off before you attempt to board a ferry, including the inevitable stragglers, as the gangways are slim. If you want to take photos and wander around the outside deck on the ferry, go for it – but be mindful that for locals, this is their normal daily commute, and travelers clambering over them to get a great shot will be annoying. Make sure you have your Opal or contactless bank card ready to tap at train station gates or when boarding and alighting from buses. In general, locals aren't too keen on people talking on mobile phones on public transport. Stick to texting.

5. Do not drop any litter... seriously! - if you want to be hated by the locals, drop some litter at the beach, on the street or in nature. Australia launched an anti-litter campaign, Keep Australia Beautiful, in 1968 that is still going strong. If you smoke cigarettes, take your butt with you. Bins are sorted into recycling or general waste, so “do the right thing”.

6. Honesty systems are sacred - honesty systems work well in Australia. If it’s raining and you take that quality umbrella to a local bar, you can dump it in the umbrella bucket (or on the floor nearby if that’s overflowing), and it will still be there when you leave the bar two hours later. However, plain black umbrellas tend to all look the same, so bring something bright and distinctive.

7. Swearing is not intended to offend - it might be considered uncouth or rude to swear in many English-speaking countries, but in Australia it’s fairly normal. Even Australian parliamentarians are known to drop a swear bomb. That said, the “So, where the bloody hell are you?” tourism campaign by the Sydney office of M&C Saatchi Group caused some controversy when it launched in 2006.

8. Yes, you can drink tap water - it’s fine to drink tap water in Sydney. If there’s any danger of contamination, you’ll hear about it: it’ll be a major national news story.

9. Natural disasters and extreme weather are a genuine concern - Australia is at the coalface of climate change (see what I did there?) and extreme weather events, even if the reason why is still open to debate in some places. In summer, there’s a risk of wildfires, and with its many pockets of forest in and around the city, your trip could be impacted by the direct danger of fires or by smoke particles in the air. A famous poem – "My Country" by Dorothea Mackellar – describes Australia as a land of “drought and flooding rains." Sydney has had its fair share of the latter – 2022 was the wettest year on record, with flash flooding affecting the city.

10. Protect yourself from the sun and the heat - use sunscreen, even in winter. The sun is hotter and sharper down under. A sunhat is an even better idea in the scorching summer heat, and ensure you have plenty of water if you’re walking anywhere.

11. Swim sensibly and don't take risks - don’t get into any body of water alone, from surf beaches with rip currents that can drag you out to sea, to rivers, lakes and ponds that can have currents or obscured obstructions. Always swim between the red-and-yellow flags at a surf beach, which signifies lifeguards are on duty. They’ll place these in the safest area of a beach. Oh, and there are jellyfish. If you get stung, rinse with water or vinegar (the latter is usually available at a surf lifesaving club).

12. A word on scams, theft, and pickpockets - as previously mentioned, Sydneysiders are super friendly which can also lead travelers to let their guard down too easily. There’s no need to be paranoid but keep your caution and wits about you when interacting with strangers, especially ones who approach you. As in any big city, don’t wander around with valuables on display and don’t leave your phone or bags unattended. Generally, though, it’s pretty safe here.

13. In case of emergency, dial 000 - and you’ll be asked what service you need – police, ambulance, or fire. Lifeline’s telephone crisis support is available on 13 11 14 (24 hours a day, seven days a week).

Advertisement



24th February 2024

Sydney travel in a well encompassed nutshell
Such a wonderful overview of Sydney... Following the lead of this blog will ensure the traveler a plethora of experiences that are not to be missed in the "land down under". The Sydney Harbor Bridge climb is not to be missed as well as catching a world class performance in the Sydney Opera house.
25th February 2024
Royal Botanic Garden, Sydney

Sydney, Australia
A handy travel hints summary in this blog so congrats on the balance and depth of detail. I'm kinda biased as I live abutting bushland National Park and am proud to call Sydney home. For harbour views my first stop with International guests is Lady Macquarie's Chair...but don't spread the word 'cos it rarely gets too crowded!!!!

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb