Shellharbour - worth the visit


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Shellharbour
March 7th 2013
Published: March 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

It is so easy to miss some very import places to visit. Shellharbour is one of those places.

Shellharbour Village is the old seaside settlement with descendants of the original migrants still living in the area. We met one lady at the Visitors Information Centre, and the family has the history of ariving here on sailing ships, coming ashore, marrying (almost instantly) and raising their families. Tough times built a rough and tumble society including home stills providing whisky (??) to the original inhabitants.

So, besides the history of the village, there are three more important historical sites, the wreck of a ship, a light rail museum and of interest to David and myself, HARS.

This museum restores all sorts of aircraft, mostly military, both for display and flying to various airshows on the East Coast.

The most famous aircraft is Connie - the only remaining flying Super Constellation. How things have changed in our life times. It would taken a years salary for the average worker to purchase a one way ticket to London. Now we see international flight more like a bus service. Connie is a real crowd drawing aircraft. This was the first really successful commercial airliner that could travel relatively big distances while carrying passengers in comfort.

There are two restored Caribou military aircraft. These aircraft could land and take off from most any clear paddock, climb incredibly fast, and carry troops, land rovers, or stretchers as required as well as dropping loads from the rear ramp.

Aussies and Kiwis are both familiar with flying boats, both during WW2 and in commercial service subsequently. Slow, yes, but a huge capacity to stay aloft for extended periods of time, more than 24 hours in some configurations.

There is a full working Catalina flying boat at HARS. It has been refitted as a wartime aircraft with two side pod observation stations as well as forward navigater and observer pod. The two engines are very close to the fusalage creating difficulties turning on water. The problem was solved by lowering one landing wheel in the water on the inner side of the circle, and then lifting the wheel when ready to run straight.

There are jet aircraft such as Vampire, Canberra and others. Some of the aircraft had both jet engines and propellers on piston engines. The jets were to assist at take opff when the military aircraft were very heavily laden.

One aircraft central to Australian Aviation history is the Southern Cross. The original aircraft is gone, but a few years back some Brisbane engineers built a full sized replica of the famous 3 engine aircraft. This replica flew to many centres around Australia, but sadly suffered structural damage. when one undercarrage leg collapsed on landing. The aircraft is slowley being brought back to life.

The enty fee is modest for a fully escorted tour. These aircraft are in working hangers, so you do need escorting, but you will learn so much from these volunteers/enthusiasts.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

HARS 01HARS 01
HARS 01

Twin bank radial engine cut open showing all the moving parts.
HARS 02HARS 02
HARS 02

Tiger Moth - built in Bankstown not far from here. Plane needed a new propeller which was hand crafted recently.
HARS 03HARS 03
HARS 03

Ex French Airforce submarine hunter.
HARS 05HARS 05
HARS 05

Not much leg room in a Sabre cockpit.
HARS 07HARS 07
HARS 07

The Sabre jet fighter
HARS 18HARS 18
HARS 18

Connie
HARS 08HARS 08
HARS 08

Connie
HARS 13HARS 13
HARS 13

Connie Cabin - quite spacious


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 9; qc: 37; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb