Newcastle to Shell Harbour


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Shellharbour
March 6th 2013
Published: March 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Today was goodbye to family and heading south to parts of Australia we have never visited before.

The journey had its challenges - like driving across Sydney without using toll roads. WE DID IT!

The first odd thing that happened was congestion getting onto the Newcastle Sydney freeway. We found the reason, an articulated truck was struggling to move as one axle of the trailer had its brakes jammed on or bearings ceased. Smoke was coming off the tyres which were being dragged down the road with great reluctance. The noise and smell had to be witnessed!

The drive south then ran smoothley - in fact quite a pleasant drive to Sydney. The road is cut through some amazing rock faces in quite rugged country.

We turned off pacific highway onto Ryde Road and then let Tom Tom navigate while Marg tried to see on our Sydney mudmap where we were going. Those roads are narrow 3 lanes each way, with drivers more like angry spannish bulls on a random rampage.

We had told Tom to take us via Coal Cliff so we could head south over the Seacliffe bridge. Tom thought he knew better tan Marg - but as I have said many times, 'Never argue with a woman!' Marg was right - she spotted the road we should have travelled in time for the driver to divert and we ended up at the right spot.

Sea Cliff bridge is an interesting solution to a problamatic coastal road which was either awash with sea water or being pelted with 50 ton blocks of rocks dropping off the cliff face. So the 3.2ks of bridge solved the problem and has become quite a tourist attraction on the freebie list.

After walking accross the bridge and back, a late lunch, we finally arrived at Shellharbour and found a great site at the Shellharbour Beachside Tourist Park. Good site, clean facilities, walk to shops, great potential for sunrise photos. Tomorrow we will see.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



6th March 2013

Great photos
Hi from 136. Great that you are moving again and loved the photos. Keep them coming we get the travel at home at no cost! Hope the rain stays away for a while. Still showery here but a little sun around so here's hoping. 68 is fine no leaks no ants no rubbish no weeds. We are wondering how we can export our ants to some place far away. Cheers US2@136
7th March 2013

Great to see
Hi Great to that your are on your way again Best of Luck Brian and Maureen

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb