Snow or Heat?


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Shellharbour
February 3rd 2009
Published: February 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Images of EnglandImages of EnglandImages of England

Well, we are far removed, at the moment, from this kind of weather. Thanks for the pictue Ed!
Day 88

This lovely sea air is a knockout, I really struggled to get out of bed this morning, I felt so tired yet, we were in bed not long after 10.00 last night so getting up at 7.00 should be easy.

I got two loads of washing into the machine this morning, I don’t know why but it feels like I am always washing clothes, I am sure that is not really true, but perhaps it is because each day blends in with the next. We may be able to keep tabs on what date it is but the days of the week are a complete blur.

Today brings with it a little bit of investigation work, one we need to find a Nissan Dealer to get the truck in for a service and two we are seriously checking out internet options. So today we ventured into Optus ‘Yes’ and Telstra. I think we have decided to go Telstra, it is more expensive but we decided that one of the most important things to us is to communicate with you guys, i.e. the blog, Skype, Email (oh, & Facebook). Telstra offer the best coverage and the woman in the shop knew what she was talking about, said it with confidence and answered all of my questions without even a flinch.

We think it will be money well spent in order to have more convenient access to internet and to avoid using up all of our quota we will continue to use easy access where possible, i.e. some campsites have free internet access and of course the popular burger chain with the golden arches lets hope that there aren’t any reports of a suspicious looking gold Nissan lurking around car parks of McDonalds.

It looks like we can get the truck serviced at Wagga Wagga, so I will be checking the map out to see how far we need to drive tomorrow and of course what do to in Wagga Wagga, while we don’t have wheels.

Since we have been here we promised ourselves a swim in the swimming pool that is built into the rocks just off the beach, so today off we went. The pool was closed yesterday, they then emptied it, cleaned it and then refilled it with sea water so we knew the water was going to be cold, sorry did I say cold, I mean FFFFreezing! Some people we met on the way said how lovely the water is, once you get in and an old gentleman blatantly lied to me when he said it was not cold, but the young man standing behind him was grinning at me and shaking his head as if to say ‘it’s not true’.

Andy dived in and I did my usual in by stealth, which probably took about 10 minutes acclimatisation. But who am I to grumble about cold water when it seems like all of you in England are telling us how cold it is over there and you are under several inches of snow and some of you are struggling to get to work.

We upload the blog “on the fly” for yesterday, and read our e-mails, our neighbour back home had sent us some digital images of snowmen that had been built by his grandkids, well I suppose so Ed and Angela may have gone out and been creative. In fact the snowman does look like he is wearing one of Ed’s caps.

For all you Australian readers a snowman is a chubby fellow made out of snow with a carrot nose and two bits of coal for eys, which is a product of when rain freezes in the upper atmosphere, and each rain drop that is frozen, falls back to earth in a crystalline shape and when compressed together can be made in to a snowman. SNOW-man. (Only joking, we know some of you get snow over here.)

Thank you Ed for the pictures of home in the snow, great snowman and nice tie! Am I missing being in England in the snow? No, apparently it is the worst snow in England in 18 years, trust us to miss out on that one.

Meanwhile back in Australia, yes Aussie’s are still complaining about the heat wave, but back here on the coast we still have that lovely sea breeze and now my washing has been on the line all day, it will be as dry as a bone.

I personally think there is cause for complaint when its hot, its hot, you just can not be bothered to do anything.

We have washed the truck this evening, the salty water and salty air will do it no good at all, everything seems to have a salty coating on it, including the tent. In fact thinking about it, the swimming pool water is very very salty, it seems abnormally salty if there is such a thing and seems difficult to swim in as you are so bouyant. If you walk along the rocks on the sea front you will see circles of salt where the sea has receeded and left small pools of water that have dried out leaving very white patches of salt.

Andy has cleaned the windows to ensure that they are fully reflective of the heat, they are full tinted windows which I really think that you cannot do without along with the air conditioning. Otherwise I think you would just slowly bake.

I have now checked the map and we have about 300kilometres to do tomorrow, we will be heading to Nangus which is just north of Wagga Wagga.




Advertisement



3rd February 2009

Sky Tram and Canopy Walk
Hello from the igloo. The sky tram etc in Costa Rica is a baby compared to the Ozzie one. I am glad we did not have to climb a spiral staircase..well I certainly wouldn't have anyway. It looks fantastic all the same. Keep safe..miss you...love you xx

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0919s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb