Day 5 to 7 Ulladulla to One Mile Beach


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Port Stephens
January 22nd 2016
Published: January 22nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

We originally planned to only stay one night at Ulladulla but the caravan park and the beach were too good to move so we decided to stay another night. The weather was amazing and even though the park was pretty busy it was quiet and really would recommend the hosts there as they were very friendly and helpful. In the morning Pete and Ben went down to the beach and went snorkeling and Hayden and I went for a bike ride, checking out the Op shops and we had to have a Mocha Frappe to get through the hot bike ride. Met up with Pete and Ben had some lunch and then went back to the beach for a snorkel and a relax on the beach. Such a wonderful place, it was hard to leave.

So the plan was to get up early the next day, as we had a five hour drive to get to One Mile Beach, and in Shazza five hours seems to take longer!! So we all headed off the bed relatively early and all ready for the big trip the next day.

We actually did get up at 7 and was on the road before 9, ahead of schedule and it was just as well at the day was promising to be a hot one. We stocked up the drinks and fuel and took off. Shazza really does seem to have a mind of her own - we filled her transmission oil and put a new radiator cap on, topped up the coolant and off we went. Get 2 minutes down the road and a passer-by frantically points to the back of Shazza and we work out there is a problem! Yep, Shazza doesn't like the new radiator cap and water and coolant are spouting all out the back of her!! So the early start is wasted as we spend time on the side of the road, finding a new radiator cap and filling her up again. Finally we get on the road, and off we go.

The heat is amazing and Shazza is doing it hard. We anxiously watch her to see if she is going to over heat as we go up some of the biggest hills I have ever seen, and then the airconditioner decides it is way too hot to work, so we are not only anxious about the hills we are then melting as we go along. Somehow we manage not to lose our sense of humour and everyone is still smiling as we drive along.

We decided after a particularly long hill climb to stop on the side of the road, use the generator and get some cooling going and make some lunch. It was a good way to cool everyone down and for us to build up our strength to keep going. Shazza appreciated the break and when we started up again she had a bit of skip in her step and we picked up pace. It was a team effort keeping Pete watered and awake, as it is certainly a big job driving Shazza and negotiating the streets, especially when the navigator (me) sends him down a small street with a roundabout that nearly ended up with all the signs knocked down as we went round. But we did it, stopping at Wyong on the way to do a big shop so that we had food for four days while we were at One Mile Beach.

It certainly has been an interesting experience not having a car that you can just jump in when you want something down the street. I have worked out how to use the gears on my bike and even made it up a hill without stopping! It is good exercise for us all jumping on the bikes and going places. Hayden and Ben are keeping themselves entertained on the drive with Uno and cards and we move seats regularly to give everyone a chance to sit in the big seat at the front.

Finally around 7.00pm we arrive at Treescape Caravan Park on One Mile Beach and move into this park which is very new and not busy which is great. We have a drive through site which made it easy for Shazza and we were all really happy to finally be out of her and taking the opportunity to unwind after the long drive. There is a great pool and spa and everything is new and all the toilets etc are just temporary ones in ATCO sheds?? We thought it a bit weird at first but after being here awhile we really appreciate the bush setting and not having other campers right beside us.

I had rung Margot and David, friends who moved from Melbourne to Newcastle many years ago and who were holidaying at Fingal Bay to tell them we had arrived, and within 30 minutes that had arrived as a surprise to see us. It was wonderful to see them after so many years and we spent the night swapping stories and catching up on all the news. Pete had not met them before so he was happy listening to all the history of our friendship and we all had many laughs during the night. Some people you don't see for awhile but the friendship is like you saw them yesterday.

After Margot and David left, Pete and I went and had a swim and a spa, and it was wonderful, very peaceful and relaxing. An amazing end to a very long, long day, but one that we enjoyed.

Next morning David arrived to pick us all up and take us to their holiday house around at Fingal Bay. We went on a tourist drive around Port Stephens and ended up at Fingal Bay which is just gorgeous and amazing colours. Meeting Sonia and Oliver again was amazing as I hadn't seen them since they left Melbourne and wow, they are so grown up now. We spent the day catching up, eating, drinking, walking and just enjoying the weather. The boys Oliver, Ben and Hayden went fishing, unfortunately with no luck, but they had fun doing it. Dinner at the surf club and then Margot drove us home, another great day and I think I am finally slipping into holiday mode!!

Day 7 dawned, after a night of hardly any sleep, not sure why, maybe too much excitement catching up with David and Margot, but it was also raining during the night and I had to empty the water bucket so Hayden's tent wouldn't float away!! I got up and walked to Samurai Beach the "Clothing Optional" beach, which is an amazing beach and there was no naked bodies, in fact the beach was pretty much empty. Really don't think we need to go anywhere else for beautiful beaches they are all here along the coast.

David and Margot, Olivia, Sonia and Sinead came over and we spent the day by the pool eating sandwiches, talking, swimming and laughing. The five young people, then retired to Shazza making use of the airconditioning to play cards all afternoon, while the four of us went off in the car and did some exploring and found a shopping centre to pick up a few supplies!

When we got back the rain started, and it rained and rained. It was sad when David and Margot and co left and I hope it is not another 10 years before we see them again, we laughed so much and it was very relaxing. We have rained proofed the tents (we hope) had dinner and watch a movie as it was too wet to sit outside, and I am hoping that I will sleep tonight. Both Hayden and Ben have already passed out and I sit here writing this blog thinking how lucky I am to have this opportunity to travel around in this great RV Shazza with my great bus driver who never seems to get flustered or grumpy. Life is pretty good!! We are planning another day tomorrow just relaxing, maybe a bike ride or two, some time on the beach and of course eating and drinking. Sunday we are on the last leg of our trip to Coffs Harbour, so stay tuned. I sometimes feel a bit guilty sending this out to everyone while you are working and we are enjoying ourselves, but I guess it gives you an opportunity to see some great places and we can share our adventures.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb