Port Macquarie


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Port Macquarie
February 21st 2009
Published: April 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Bus StopBus StopBus Stop

Hillary has been growing quite attached to my DS. lol
Saturday morning we got up and packed for the bus. We were starting to get used to this “changing towns” every few days now, so packing and unpacking wasn’t too tough. Anyways, we soon hopped on the Greyhound, and were off to Port Macquarie!

Port Macquarie was a nice little town. It seemed to be best known for its Koala Hospital, and its beaches. However heavy rains in Australia were washing a lot of soil out to the ocean, making the water at the beaches fairly muddy. In other words, the beaches weren’t too nice at that time. So Saturday afternoon we explored the town, and used some internet at McDonalds instead. Once back at the hostel, we watched Live Free or Die Hard. But in Australia, it’s called Die Hard 4.0. Weird how titles are changed in different countries.

Sunday, we got up nice and early for one of Hillary’s favourite little spots, the Koala Hospital! We went in the morning to see the morning feeding, and it was a good experience. This hospital was set up specifically for injured koalas. Although some of them were hurt from disasters like wild fires, the majority were hurt because of
Rest StopRest StopRest Stop

This rest stop was fashioned to look like Ayers Rock, a famous Australian toursit attraction.
people, like getting hit by cars, or attacked by dogs. It was a sad sight. Visiting the hospital is free, but donations are accepted to help run the service.

That afternoon, we decided to head to the beach for a little sun. The water still wasn’t too great, but it was a nice day. Hillary loves lying in the sun. Me, not so much. So she found a nice spot on the beach, and I settled for a tree. Lol I guess I still wasn’t used to the summer heat. That night we then watched Ocean’s 11. Watching movies while on the other side of the world may sound like a waste, but when you get a group of travelers together, it’s a good way to meet people. That night was our last in Port Macquarie, and the next morning we’d be off to Coffs Harbour.

Kevin (and Hillary)


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

BusBus
Bus

Our fancy greyhound bus!
Bus RideBus Ride
Bus Ride

Definitely some great scenery when you travel by bus.
YHAYHA
YHA

The hostel we stayed at was a bit tiny, but cozy you could say.
HostelHostel
Hostel

The room got a little hot, but it meant it forced you to sit in the common room and socialize. lol
ShoreShore
Shore

First things we. we made sure to check out the shore of the town.
WashroomWashroom
Washroom

A little repetitive, but hey, if you're looking for the washroom (or toilet, as they say in Australia), it's better to be safe than sorry!
Koala Hospital - 1Koala Hospital - 1
Koala Hospital - 1

Entrance to the koala hospital and the reserve.
Koala Hospital - 2Koala Hospital - 2
Koala Hospital - 2

The koala hospital had one main buildilng and several outdoor sections for the koalas.
Koala Hospital - 3Koala Hospital - 3
Koala Hospital - 3

We arrived early to make sure we saw the morning feeding session by volunteers.
Koala Hospital - 4Koala Hospital - 4
Koala Hospital - 4

A little history for one of the more recorgnizeable koalas.
Koala Hospital - 5Koala Hospital - 5
Koala Hospital - 5

Birthday Girl herself.
Koala Hospital - 6Koala Hospital - 6
Koala Hospital - 6

Some injuries prevent the koalas to be able to feed themselves.
Koala Hospital - 7Koala Hospital - 7
Koala Hospital - 7

This guy may not be able to eat on his own, but that doesn't mean he can't enjoy it.
Koala Hospital - 8Koala Hospital - 8
Koala Hospital - 8

The hospital is run on donations.
Shore - 2Shore - 2
Shore - 2

The rocks were painted by other tourists travelling with their stories and impressions of Australia or anything else they liked!
BeachBeach
Beach

No swimming, but we still lay about the beach. lol


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.031s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0318s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb