Welcome to Nimbin....


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Nimbin
February 12th 2009
Published: March 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

A brief detour from our coastal drive into the hinterland and Nightcap national park. We stayed in Nimbin, the site of the famed Aquarius festival that apparently launched the Australian hippie culture when it took place in 1973 - apparently some of those that came for the festival never left and thus Nimbin developed - famous for its new age therapies, music and crafts among other things! It really is like taking a step back in time...proper hippie apart from all the camper vans and gawping tourists like us!

We visited the living museum where there's a Kombi van stuck in the front wall - apparently left there after someone drove it through the front wall??? We spent the rest of the day people watching as we weren't able to do any of our planned walking due to the awful rain - I'm not hard enough to walk and get soaked just yet - I'm saving that for new zealand.

It's back to the seaside for us tomorrow!


Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement

A section of the main streetA section of the main street
A section of the main street

All the shops were decorated in a similar fashion and graffiti was encouraged in some places as art...


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb