The Big Wet and Woodstock


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Nangus
October 27th 2010
Published: October 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Which way...Which way...Which way...

The signs to Nangus and Wagga
I felt honored to be asked to be guest author on Andy and Caroline’s blog. Especially knowing how dedicated the Trentfield’s are to regularly providing updates so that their friends and family can follow their journey. I was specifically asked to write about a visit I did with Andy to Woodstock - the place that Andy and Caroline consider their second home due to the special place it holds in their hearts. I jumped at the chance seeing as I enjoy writing and I thoroughly enjoyed being at Woodstock, even for the short time we were there.

To be honest, I really did not think we would make it to Woodstock, the Friday was setting itself up to be one of the wettest days in a number of years and the road closures were happening thick and fast. The Hanily’s (who have no doubt been mentioned several times in this blog due to their close friendship with the Trentfield’s) had a wedding to attend on the Saturday and were attempting to make the drive from Canberra to Finley on Friday afternoon but every option of road became closed due to flooding. By late Friday they were stopped at Tarcutta and
The Low Level BridgeThe Low Level BridgeThe Low Level Bridge

This is the bridge near Woodstock that was closed due to the flooding
were told to turn around after word was out that the bridge at Holbrook had collapsed due to the rising water levels. It was back to Gundagai for them (home of the Dog on the Tuckerbox) where they stayed the night, and lucky for them one of the roads had opened by early Saturday morning and they made it to Finley for the wedding after all.

Andy and I set off early Saturday morning. During the drive to Nangus we couldn’t help but notice the amount of water on the side of the highway and how all the dams in the paddocks were at capacity if not overflowing. Being that most of New South Wales has been in a devastating drought for the past ten years, the recent downpour has been a godsend, although we were soon to hear of the chaos this particular dump of rain was causing in some towns.

Helen and Rob Sheridan - who own Woodstock, have been talked about and talked about, and talked about by Andy and Caroline. And if you have regularly followed their blog you would have read about their time at the farm especially during the harvest time. So
Those gorgeous newbornsThose gorgeous newbornsThose gorgeous newborns

awww, the newborn lambs are so adorable
on my way to Woodstock I pretty much had the expectation that Helen and Rob would make me feel very welcome even though I was a complete stranger coming to their house to stay the night. And my expectations were spot on.

Helen greeted us and put on the kettle to make us a welcoming cuppa, in true country hospitality. I won’t talk your ears off about the baked goods she had made, but I will say this: Helen makes a killer florentine slice with a chocolate base and a nutty, fruity topping - my mouth starts watering merely at the memory of it.

Andy took me for a drive around the property, all 6000 acres of it, and the scenery with all the paddocks of wheat (that are due to be harvested in early December) makes for a fine looking sight. We drove to a bridge nearby that is locally known as the Low Level Bridge, where Andy did some fishing last year and we found it was totally under water, whereas Andy said when he was last there the water was sitting several metres under the bridge.

Being that Woodstock also produces lamb, we saw
Bec and Trixie...Bec and Trixie...Bec and Trixie...

hanging out in the Doggy Hilton
many sheep (or sheeps as I like to call them), including a group who were close to the house, one of which who had just given birth to twin lambs shortly before we arrived - describing them as cute just doesn’t do it - is there a word that means cuter than cute??

Now for the dogs, ahhh the dogs. Andy and Caroline talk about the Woodstock working dogs with much affection and they certainly are every bit as gorgeous as they described. There’s Wally, Toby, Kimba, Tiny, little Maggie (a very hyperactive puppy) and Trixie (I know it’s wrong to have favourites - but I can’t help it - she’s my favourite).

One of the main reasons for the trip to Woodstock was because Andy wanted to see if Helen could use some help after her recent operation. Fortunately for him, the lawns were due for a mow and this meant one thing….using the ride on mower! With Andy in his element happily doing laps (and more laps) of the lawn, I helped Helen clean out the ‘Doggy Hilton’ (where the dogs live) and collect the eggs from the chook pen.

Saturday night was relaxing with
Fields of greenFields of greenFields of green

Soon to be brown - once the wheat is ready for harvesting
a yummy dinner and sitting by the fire afterwards to play a game of Tri-Ominoes. If you just said “what is tri-ominoes”, then that would echo what I said. Turns out it is like Dominos but in triangle shapes instead of rectangles (you think I would have worked that out from the name….) and normally I am not one to blow my own trumpet but BRRRRTT (trumpet sound), I was pretty good at it and won - much to the grumpiness of Helen and Andy (just pretend grumpiness of course).

It was a warm and cozy night sleep and hearing the rooster at 4am (and then 5am, and then 6am) was a telltale sign I was in the country, which actually is a noise I really like because it reminds me - while dozing peacefully - that I am out of the suburbs and in a farm environment. I looked outside and saw glorious green fields on a backdrop of clear blue sky. This sight caused me to run down the hall to Andy’s room and excitedly tell him to wake up, get out of bed and see how lovely the day was. His pretend enthusiasm was quite polite
Holy SheepsHoly SheepsHoly Sheeps

A front yard invasion of the woolly kind
and I appreciated his attempt to look excited even though I knew his warm bed was more appealing to him at that hour of the morning. Helen was already up and about and I happily enjoyed the comfort of the first morning cuppa while having a chat to her. We heard on the radio that the town of Culcairn had been evacuated due to the rising water and that some parts of the city of Wagga Wagga were flooded.

Andy finally got up - it took him a while considering that normally he has been up at the same time as the birds since him and Caroline have been staying with me. Who would have thought all it took to keep him in bed for longer was an electric blanket (Caroline - it might be worth making a note of that).

Our first job of the day was to move the ‘Wendy House’ which was in the shed at Killara, another property owned by Helen and Rob just down the road. The Wendy House, as most of you devoted blog followers would know, is Andy and Caroline’s camper trailer that was their Home Sweet Home for 16 adventurous months while on the road touring Australia. With a new farmhand moving into the Killara house shortly, the Wendy House had to be moved over to Woodstock. And a visit to Killara also meant having a look through the old farm house. It was like stepping into another era with the high ceilings and a fireplace in almost every room. It has a characteristic charm that you can only find in a house of that age. Unfortunately we saw two lame sheep while at Killara so we know they would no doubt be due to visit the big farmhouse in the sky before too long.

On our way back to Woodstock Andy and I arrived to find at least 150 sheep had crammed themselves into the lawn area in front of the house, all I could think of was Helen’s pretty flower beds being eaten or trodden. After they followed each other out (as sheep do), we surveyed the area and to our surprise there was not really any damage except for a few grass patches ripped up.

So before long, Andy was back on the ride on mower, grinning away like a kid in a candy store, finishing what he couldn’t the day before due to the rain. Meanwhile Helen and I got stuck into weeding the garden which meant removing a lot of stinging nettles but thankfully our gloves stopped us from getting any painful stings.

With our visit almost over, a trip to Woodstock wouldn’t be complete (according to Andy) without sampling some of Helen’s legendary savoury slice. And let me tell you it is worth all the praise it receives, and yes - I now have the recipe so I hope to try and make it even half as good as Helen does. So feeling more than content with our bellies full of savoury slice (oh, and more of those Florentines for me….) it was time for us to hit the road back to Canberra. We said our goodbyes to Helen and Rob, gave the dogs some cuddles, and made tracks.

Thanks to Helen and Rob for their kind hospitality and thanks to Andy - who knows that I love all things country, for letting me tag along on his visit.
Bec


Advertisement



28th October 2010

The Big Wet
Well done Bec. Enjoyed the read and glad you enjoyed your stay. Thanks for the help with the chores as well. Could do with your help to-day raking silage before the next big wet. You are most welcome to come and stay any time and thanks for chasing the sheep out of the garden before they ruined it.
29th October 2010

Becs the Journalist
Great blog Becs. We said our Goodbyes to Caroline today as she makes her way back to Canberra. Oh dear it was even harder this time to say our goodbyes and a box of tissues was very quickly used up. Australia sounds wonderful through Caroline and Andy's brilliant blogs and photos, and a few other travellers blogs too. Perhaps it won't be too long before we can pay a visit. S & J.

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb