Rulers of the surf


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Manly
July 5th 2008
Published: July 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Wow, am I ever pooped! Since it's the middle of winter in Sydney and 25 C is quite comfortable for us Canadians to strip down, we decided to go surfing. When we went to go and rent the boards, the guy was too stubborn to let us go without wetsuits, so we donned our protective neoprene and hit the surf. Now as beginners, you only get these massive, foam, banana boards. Inititally, I was a little embarassed hauling this monstrosity to the beach, but once out there on the swells, it all made sense. We attemped to ride for about 2 hrs, successfully standing a handful of times, and getting sand in more awkward places than beach vball. We had a blast nonetheless, kickin ass on the poor suckers in the surfing lesson next to us. We went to return our boards with beaming smiles and the rental shop guy goes, "You're smiling too much after a day like today. You must be from Alaska or something." Well played.

So tomorrow we pick up our infamous (or soon to be!) Wicked Camper and will hit the road to the Gold Coast at around noon. We'll put on as many kms as possible asap, to maximize our time up at the Great Barrier.... SWEEEEETTTTTTT! I'm still quite nervous about this whole "other side of the road." Perhaps we should make headway and try to get some headway with these Aussies and just drive on the right, as per usual. That might be a rude awakening for some peeps!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb