The Splendor that was...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Katoomba
March 27th 2009
Published: August 9th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -33.6535, 150.287

I miss the Blue Mountains!!
The people, The sights, The sounds, The experiences.
I must say i was sad to leave, but knowing that i will be back soon has me looking forward to returning.
I last reported on my amazing first 24hrs in the Blueys, so now i can report on the week that was. Well as you know i arrived on the Friday and Mountain biked on the Saturday. In short i stayed at the Katoomba YHA for 6 nights when originally i booked 3 nights, this was due to my work being around Lithgow area, and seeing it was only a 40 min drive away, i thought I'd extend the stay.

After the mountain biking i found myself in a state of immobility, at the time, needless to say i pulled up fine the next day. On the Sunday i arose early to checkout the Wentworth Falls, i took a track that led me along the cliff with stunning views, as well as running into the local Abseiling group along the way. The track was great, newly refurbished with steep steps along the way. They know how to make you work for the views.
The rest of the day i thought I'd relax.
That night a group of us (two roomies, Kurt, farmer from Switzerland, and Matt from England, as well as Carol, who i met the night before, from the Netherlands) decided to take a trip to Echo point to see the 3 sisters lit up, it was Ok, nothing to special, i was more interested in what was happening behind which was a lightning show out in the distance, with fairly frequent lightening flashes. Unfortunately i wasn't able to get photos as they were a fair way out.

Back to reality, i worked the Monday, same story different day.
Monday night was fairly relaxed, i grabbed a bite to eat at the local pub with Dan from South Carolina, another roomy, and just settled down with Carol and Dan back in the lounge at the YHA.
Tuesday was a much better day, i decided not to work. Instead i opted to do some sightseeing instead. In the morning Carol and myself drove to Blackheath and went to a lookout over the Grosse Valley, once again beautiful views with Perfect weather, In fact the only bad day was my last day, and even then it was spectacular, but I'll get to that soon.
Carol and myself walked along the ridge to a lookout point with great views along the way.
Then it was back to Katoomba before having a quick lunch as Carol had a train to catch.
After seeing Carol off i headed back to the hostel, feeling rather lonely after everyone i had met had left, Hello's go out to Simon, Tom, Ray, Dan, Matt, Kurt and Carol.
But i did still have Carl left in my dorm. Carl is an oldish guy, around 50 who had just left his job. Later that day i ran into him about to take a walk, so i decided to join him.
We ended up walking the track down to Leura forest, which was really nice and peaceful with waterfalls and trees all around, and the token steep steps. it was also nice to be down in the valley among the trees for once instead of just seeing it from above.
We walked below the 3 sisters and came up near the cable railway. So it was day of walking for me.
Wednesday saw work and the first cloudy day since i arrived, but this was not a bad thing, after work, Carl and myself went to Cahill's lookout hoping for a sunset, although we didn't quite get the real thing, due to it basically raining, we did get some spectacular colour beaming from cracks among the clouds.
Thursday i checked out, and headed towards Mudgee, finished one school in the morning and completed a further 5 throughout the day before Retiring in a pub in Mudgee.
Now I'm in Sydney, a stop over before i head up the coast to Byron bay to meet up with Carol as well as starting filming work in Lismore. But not before i meet up with Cossie for lunch tomorrow in Manly and a stopover in Port Maquarie for the night.

So in short if you have the opportunity to see the Blue Mountains i strongly recommend it, you wont be disappointed, unless your a freak of nature.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0179s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb