Beware the Bunyip!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Katoomba
February 12th 2007
Published: February 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

This Monday was the day we were set to pick up our hire car that would transport us the 2000+ks up the east coast to Cairns. After some serious cockins, we had been given an old pick up address in the wrong suburb, we finally got the keys to our new beast. We had rented through a company called Apollo who were much cheaper than elsewhere and assumed that the car would be ropey but it is actually really a good motor.

Having got the car, we headed for a town called Katoomba in the Blue Mountains, west of Sydney. It was driving rain all the way there and we didn't have a hope of taking in any views.

The hostel we booked (Flying Fox) had cocked up the internet booking but we were so glad as we ended up at a place called Hostel 14 which was super cute and friendly. The hostel had a cosy living room with a fireplace and, with the stormy weather outside, we could snuggle inside playing games and chatting with fellow travellers.

Luckily the weather started to clear up the next morning and we were surprised by our beautiful surroundings which we hadn't noticed the day before. We went to the three sisters, which is a much postcarded rock formation with a sweet aboriginal story about a man turning his daughters to stone to protect them from a mad bunyip, only to end up turning himself into a bird and hence dropping his magic shinbone! Come on ... it could happen to the best of us!

Seeing that the weather was improving we decided to do a walk around the Wentworth Falls and take in some Blue Mountain views. The views were amaxing, the expanse is so big and spectacular. There were many huge waterfalls on this walk because of all the rain. Unfortunately, Vicki managed to slip on apparently nothing (or was it a bunyip tripping her!). She landed squarely and painfully on her arse. After much squealing and a few tears, it was decided we needed to head back and check out the views in the car.

So we drove to the Wentworth Falls and they were really great. We went further into the mountains to Govetts Lookout and saw the best views of the whole day. The camera had done some seriously hard work by then.

Very impressed with what we had seen and sad we couldn't afford to spend more time in the Blue Mountains, we turned back and headed once more to the coast.

Advertisement



21st February 2007

CAUGHT UP AT LAST
I thought I had done something to upset you both when the bloggs stopped coming. At last after a few busy weeks at the start of the year (pesky auditors) I have been able to catch up with your travels. It still sounds like you are having the most wonderful trip. Carry on enjoying yourself. Lots of love to you both Ann xxxx

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0613s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb