Missing Henry, and a Day at the Zoo


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Gilgandra
June 8th 2010
Published: June 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We always like being in the country where the views are of sweeping plains and far horizons. We had some time in the interesting old town of Gulgong, the town that once graced our $10 note, along with it's famous son, poet Henry Lawson .. before both were replaced with other bards - Banjo Patterson and Dame Mary Gilmore

Every June long weekend - which in fact will be next weekend - Gulgong celebrates The Henry Lawson Festival, with a parade down the main street and various Lawson works being performed. Of course, as is our way, we were too early for it all, (always just too early or just too late) although we did see Gulgong's windows dressed for the coming festivities. After discussing beef and wool prices with some of the locals, we then drove on to Dunedoo. I was sorry to see the shop I liked to visit there has now gone so we just stopped for lunch and then pressed on to Dubbo where we stayed the night.

We left the caravan park early and headed to the the Western Plains Zoo - our main reason for going to Dubbo. It's a great zoo with
GulgongGulgongGulgong

Some of the old buildings in the main street
lots of room for animals to graze and in most cases, all that separates them from the public is a moat or retaining wall. We were able to drive the motor home around which gave us a high view and there was plenty of room for us to park to get out and see each animal. I think last time we were there with the children, we all rode bikes around the zoo, that was quite a few years ago. Being winter, it wasn't crowded, and being winter, they are in the middle of a lot of renovations, so dams and pools have been emptied for cleaning and several animals had been sent back to Taronga Zoo in Sydney.

Still, we were there a long time and saw quite a lot. My favourite animals are the giraffes, with elephants a close second and I love that they seem almost close enough to pat. Rhinos, hippos, bisons, on and on - all the animals one expects to see as well as quite a few I hadn't heard of before.

Shadows were getting longer so it was time to leave and continue our travels, driving north along the Newell highway till we reached Gilgandra. Gilgandra's claim to fame is that is here where the Coo'ee March began, recruiting young men to volunteer to march to Sydney and enlist for the First World War. They were considered heroes at the time, oblivious to what lay ahead in that terrible war.

We will have tonight here. It's a busy highway, many trucks, but we are in a quiet caravan park, thank heavens.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Meerkat, Dubbo ZooMeerkat, Dubbo Zoo
Meerkat, Dubbo Zoo

These were so cute
Elelphant at Dubbo ZooElelphant at Dubbo Zoo
Elelphant at Dubbo Zoo

To stimulate the elephants, they hide toys and their feed and change feeding times.


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb