bathurst to forster - simon writes a blog!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Forster
November 15th 2008
Published: November 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

nonna arrivesnonna arrivesnonna arrives

at bathurst airport
we drove 700km from port macquarie to bathurst and all of us felt sick over the mountains on the oxley highway to tamworth. tamworth has a very pretty main street. just what jock had in mind for numurkah all those years ago i am sure.
simon did some work at bathurst base hospital for 10 days.
claudia and simon particularly had a great time at the fossil and rock exhibition in the old school building. a guy called warren somerville has put his lifetime collection of rare rocks and minterals and a caste of tyranosaurus rex into a neat exhibition. the man himself was there and i had a chance to talk to him about dirt.
claudia lorenzo and gina made some friends and went to a farm and oberon dam. nonna came up for a couple of days and had a good time.
from bathurst we went to dubbo zoo to see gina's relatives, then left for katoomba a few days later.
the three sisters were still there, simon felt weak everytime the kids started climbing the rail.
folklore has it that the three sisters were likened to gina donna and sofia by judy a few years back
when retelling
budding paleantologistbudding paleantologistbudding paleantologist

shhhh, hard at work in fossil museum, Bathurst
this story to claudia, little mac asked mum "which one are you mum", gina replied i am the one that is missing its head. claudia was near inconsolable, "but why haven't you got a head, why do you have to be the one with no head?" of course if it were true that the 3rd sister had lost its head it probably would have run around the valley for 30 seconds then dropped dead and been boiled up for dinner. gina is still alive and kicking, bagork!
the cableway and seasick railway (claudia speak) were over in no time but interesting nonetheless.
leura is next door and supports a teahouse with a teapot collection. eversince looking after gwen and jock's tea cups we have had an interest in teapots and there were plenty on display, about 3000. devonshire tea was 16 bucks a head and thank goodness it tasted nice for the price. simon felt sick from eating the left over cream.
big bad sydney awaited, bad because our booking was messy, big because it is and sydney after captain cooks dog.
we stayed near paddys market in china town. everyone was chinese - go figure. lots of eating out
nonna and littlesnonna and littlesnonna and littles

at dubbo zoo, is that a colourful parrot on the right?
and a few iconic sites were taken in.
it was hard to separate a trip to manly on the ferry and the wonderful manly beach from dinner on cocklebay wharf darling harbour, or lunch in the botanical gardens looking towards the navy shipyards as the best moments. maybe it was the palpable energy coming in the 38th storey window or even the view to the harbour bridge with lunatic park lit up beneath it that was our favourite memory. certainly wasn't the one way streets, they were bad and everywhere.
from here we went back to port macquarie to pick up some mail that we missed, and then down to forster. forster weather was terrible for two days with high winds then overcast and still on day 3. by the time we got around to hiring a canoe all the shops were shut. we will do it down the coast.
claudia and LJ seem happy, claudia's bike riding is coming along fine. Lorenzo just got his 2nd 2 year molar. 1st one a month ago and he is trying hard to run and jump, almost there!
tomorrow off to kiama. burning diesel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

awww baby cheetahawww baby cheetah
awww baby cheetah

Isnt he cute?!
under heritage water tankunder heritage water tank
under heritage water tank

at the home of Ben Chifley, left to Bathurst museum
bye nonnabye nonna
bye nonna

family photo at bathurst airport
three sistersthree sisters
three sisters

can you see the one with no head?
three sistersthree sisters
three sisters

again, Katoomba
crisis talkscrisis talks
crisis talks

macca announce mum cant be the one on the end, no head
guest photographerguest photographer
guest photographer

some nice german(austrian) man insists on taking our photo as we leave three sisters lookout
a favourite photoa favourite photo
a favourite photo

just inside a fake rock in Katoomba
fancy cupcakes!fancy cupcakes!
fancy cupcakes!

a shop dedicated to magnificently unusual cupcakes
alert cowgirl lostalert cowgirl lost
alert cowgirl lost

How does a cowgirl end up at the sydney harbour bridge?
alert cowboy lostalert cowboy lost
alert cowboy lost

ditto but he took his hat off!
bridge & cruise shipbridge & cruise ship
bridge & cruise ship

here's a girl who knows how to pose (insisted dad get her skirt in the picture)
action photoaction photo
action photo

on the ferry on the way to manly (many tangles after this return trip)
girls and their foodgirls and their food
girls and their food

yes, we stayed in haymarket/china town
famous!!!famous!!!
famous!!!

this one's for you aunty Ez
sleeping cowboysleeping cowboy
sleeping cowboy

dont wake him or he might shoot! Ha!


15th November 2008

who's relatives?
Judging by all that hair Simon, I am wondering whose relatives you were going to visit at the dubbo zoo... (no offence to Sime's real relatives!!). Miss Claudia, what a beautiful and colourful skirt you have. Lovely to hear your news guys, happy travelling. love Tan, Cam, Jack and Annie. ps- Cam has just plant 250 or so tomato seedlings- would we say 'over the top?!'
16th November 2008

fab photos!
Hey Gina, Simon and 'littlies'...great to see you guys obviously having a wonderful time - congrats on taking the plunge and going ahead with such an adventurous trip. A truly memorable experience for all. Thanks for sharing it with us. Lots of hugs from all of us - especially Luca!
17th November 2008

Simon writes a blog!!!
Did someone forget to pack a razor? It's a little scary to have memories of a very similar looking beard from about 25 years ago - like father like son! Glad to hear that you are all enjoying yourselves. I look forward to Simon's next installment

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb