Day 19 Brisbane and Byron Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
November 15th 2013
Published: November 16th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Gold Coast Gold Coast Gold Coast

The first time we've seen skyscrapers since Sydney.
So today we are off to Brisbane from where we are going to pick up a car. First time we will be under our own steam. Although only for two nights as we drive down to Byron Bay. So after breakfast, another eggs Benedict but still no picture we were off in a transfer bus to the airport.

Unfortunately we were first pick up of 12. Now every trip we have been on, one of the transferees have been late. Every time we have waited till they finally arrived, often clutching a bag from the local supermarket or Subways. Not once have they apologised to the waiting passengers on the bus. Call me a grumpy old woman.......

So got to Proserpine airport 5 mins late. On the journey we finally saw our first kangaroo or maybe it was a wallaby. I'm not sure I know the difference yet. Unfortunately it was in the middle of the road, lying on its side, obviously having been run over and was now in kangaroo heaven. Didn't seem to bother the driver- assume it's our equivalent of a hedgehog, but big. Made me a bit sad though.

Another airport with two flights out that day. I wonder how on earth these airports survive. They must be subsided when you think about what's happening in Europe with airports that have far more traffic. Both flights to Brisbane. Mind you ours was a proper big plane (A320) and it was full. So maybe they survive on the coffee shop takings as they do have a monopoly!

Arrival at Brisbane and the search for the car rental. Not too tricky once we found a pay phone. A 1/2 hour later we were on the Pacific Highway, on our way to Byron Bay. Interestingly it's called the A1 and although you are driving on the left it has a real American feel to it (signposts, hoardings etc.). It really is the sister of the pacific highway (route 1) of the USA.

We decided to do a quick detour to check out the Gold Coast for a late lunch. Well, what a change from where we've been in the rest of Queensland. It was really busy, full of skyscrapers and again we felt a bit like we had landed in Florida on I Drive. Dumping the car by a beach in Broadbeach we looked for somewhere to grab a beer. Interestingly there was nowhere over looking the beach apart for the Kurrawa surf club. Anyway for the sight of our driving licenses we got to join the surf club for the day so we could sit on their balcony and watch the surfers, with the obligatory amber nectar of course. Cool!

After that we headed down to Byron Bay. Weather worsened as we drove down and hit our second lot of the rain during this holiday. Luckily both times we were travelling. Got to the guesthouse we were booked in. Very laid back. It was only at this point that Ian realised we had lost an hour!!! Appears that although we have gone straight down, as we are now in New South Wales we are back on Sydney time. Don't think I've changed my watch so much on a holiday. So far we have moved time zones 6 times!!!

So walked off into Byron bay for dinner. It's very laid back here with lots of bars and restaurants. Full of backpackers but seems like a proper community which I haven't seen in the other resorts we have been in over the last week.
On the surf beachOn the surf beachOn the surf beach

Board just out of picture but you should have seen him go!
It was also heaving! In the end we found a sort of cross between a takeaway and a cafe. Lots of them here. We went to one called 'The Lazy Italian' who drew us in with the free tastes they were giving away of their chicken schnitzel. It was a BYO so the chef directed us to the bottle shop on the corner and we ended up having a brilliant meal. We then wandered up to the Beach House, a huge bar playing live music. The band were a cross between reggae and the shadows (lots of instrumental guitar). Ian got me a seat so I allowed him to stay for two beers. That's what 30 years of marriage gives you - compromise!

And so back to the guesthouse ready for our day out around Byron bay tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Surf club membershipSurf club membership
Surf club membership

More about drinking and playing pokies than physical activity
Aaron's - Our place in Byron Bay Aaron's - Our place in Byron Bay
Aaron's - Our place in Byron Bay

Short stroll to beach and the night life
BYOBYO
BYO

Part of our good meal out


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb