Day 45: Byron Bay and Yamba


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
January 23rd 2013
Published: January 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Given that we slept next to the motorway, it's not surprising that we were up at 6am. Luckily we hadn't been caught for 'illegal camping' and we headed to Byron Bay for some early morning beach action. James went for a run and I popped down to the beach to do some light exercising before breakfast. Byron Bay is known as the 'chilled hippy town'; it continually comes under threat by developers to turn it into another Surfers Paradise, but the residents put up a strong fight and there is not a single high-rise building. How long this will last, I'm not so sure! After a wander around the town and finally some free internet access we headed back to the beach for a swim and a brief sunbathe (we start to burn after 15 mins!). Continuing south on the highway we came across a cute little town called Yamba, and stopped off at a caravan park for the night. A little bit of rain made the air a bit cooler and not a peep from anyone could be heard on the site meaning we were in store for a much better nights sleep than our 'motorway experience' the night before.

Bailey's bit: Byron bay definitely had the feel of a backpacker town, the streets were filled with campervans (I saw 2 people been busted for camping on the front), surf shops and hostels. The plan was to go surfing but the swell was very small, much smaller than Agnes Water so we went for a swim instead. Yamba was also another laid back town (the home of the brand Billabong) and the estuary headland is flanked by 3 beaches perfect for surfing and fishing. We walked along the beach in the evening and came across a family surf fishing, we saw them catch what looked like a baby shark!

Daily mileage: 3 (am) had a wander around Byron bay scoping out the area and beach front. 4 (pm) did a short session in the dusk of 2 min. 3min x 2 with minute recovery between each rep.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb