Back at Byron


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
October 31st 2010
Published: October 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

We enjoyed our weekend at Hastings Point very much. It was a quiet little coastal town but is being discovered - our small caravan park was full over the weekend. The river opposite was very popular with young families and I was wishing I'd donned cossie to have a swim in the not-too-cool water.

We did paddle in the river as we walked along the edge to the ocean, interested to see quite a few terns amongst the gulls, we haven't seen a group of them before. There is a pole with a platform, put there no doubt for the osprey who have built a nest and are busy feeding their new babies. It was interesting to watch the osprey dive into the water and fly back to the nest with a fish between its claws.

We walked up the small headland to view north the long Hastings Point beach and to the south another long beach, rougher seas there and quite a few fishermen trying their luck. A pod of dolphins were luckier, busy feeding and enjoying the waves.

Today we left Hastings Point and drove south along the old highway, calling in to Pottsville, Mooball, and Brunswick Heads .. we hadn't seen them for awhile as all those places are now bypassed on the newer highway. We decided we'd spend a night at Byron Bay but were surprised at just how busy the town is - I suppose there are more people here because it's Sunday but the streets were crowded. When Doug went to book in to the caravan park in town, the people in front had just taken the last site.

Next we tried the caravan park on Clarke's beach, closer to the lighthouse. This place is known as all but impossible to get into but, surprisingly, we got the last site! We are amongst the trees and the leaves, bush turkeys are everywhere but it will be good to try for a night. We'll soon go and walk the beach - the sun's trying to shine between the clouds so it's not a swimming day for me, but at least it's warm.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

A good Tern up A good Tern up
A good Tern up

(groan) I've previously only seen one or two Terns at a time
Back beachBack beach
Back beach

Byron Bay lighthouse is the furthest jutting out point you can see in the distance
Osprey's nestOsprey's nest
Osprey's nest

obviously not worried by the cars and people passing below.
From Hastings Point travelling southFrom Hastings Point travelling south
From Hastings Point travelling south

The scenery on back roads is always pretty


1st November 2010

Hi VAl & Doug
Our ospreys have left for warmer climes now. This summer a pair built their nest on the chimney of one of the big houses on the river at the end of our street. What a mess they made of the beautiful slate roof! I love reading about your travels! Like the sound of Nimbin. Have safe travels!
1st November 2010

Hi Di
I can imagine the mess they'd make - I suppose they had to get the nest down so they can use the fire over winter. Nimbin is very colourful !

Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb