Brilliant Byron Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
January 9th 2009
Published: January 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

9/1/09 = Organising trip, BBQ and a night out in Byron

Woke up at the usual time and started to get ready for day straight away. Didn't have any food in for breakfast, so caught free shuttle bus into town at 10:05. Had 10mins to rush round woolworths and buy breakfast, then got back on same bus to take us back to hostel. Deb was on bus too, so worked out well. Had our breakfast, then had to make a decision about what to do for day. Was cloudy, so decided to do sensible thing = plan and organise rest of trip. Had to do it in next couple of days, so better to do it while weather not good. Caught next shuttle into town at midday and headed straight for first travel shop = Peter Pans. Really wanted to look round town because all shops looked really cool, but had to stick to plan!

Had the usual annoying sales guy that all travel shops have, with the same annoying lies that they all tell. Did help us plan all our trip though, including a boat trip to Whitsunday Islands, a jeep safari around Fraser, a canoe tour, all our accomodation for nights left in Oz and also our Australia zoo ticket. Gave us a really reasonable price, but didn't really like him and still hadn't made up mind about what boat to sail on. Already information overload, but went striaght to next shop to see if they could beat price = Tribal Travel. Made same plans and cost a little more, but then managed to find us a cheaper boat, which lowered price....decisions, decisions. Could take no more at this point, so went for a drink to digest plans. Got the best but also the largest milkshake ever and decided to go back to Peter Pans to see if they could beat new plans. They could; got us a cheaper price and also gave us all a Goon T-shirt that we all wanted. Started to put through and finalise plans when he rang about canoe tour and couldn't get us on. That changed everything because we all wanted to do canoeing, so we cancelled plans with him and went back to Tribal Travel. Stress! Thankfully they could get us on tour and offered to match price = decision made....booking with Tribal Travel. No T-shirt though 😞.

Spent next 2 hours making bookings, changing our minds twice about sailing boat for Whitsundays and finally settling on a cheaper one = The Apollo. After a whole days sorting out, this is what we booked:
* Appollo boat for Whitsundays, Self drive jeep tour for Fraser Island and Noosa canoe safari for $430
* All accommodation for rest of trip $235
* Park and additional fees for trips $235

Good deal in end, but totally stressed out and shattered. Whole day gone and had to rush to catch 5:45 shuttle back to hostel. Glad there was a free BBQ at hostel so didn't have to cook. Were all really hungry when got back, so just dumped our things and sat outside waiting for BBQ to begin. Cost $7 each and was really excited for sangria....until Deb told me it was just red and white goon mixed. Sangria without the fruit....have a word!

Chatted for a while and v.disappointed when 6 o'clock came and still no BBQ. Found out it didn't start until 7...devestated! Had to get cards out and play for a while just to keep distracted from hunger feeling. When 7 o'clock came and first part of
Funky moves 2Funky moves 2Funky moves 2

...on a role...
BBQ ready, got straight up and tucked in. Was really nice to even have salad, and sausages were beautiful. Had a great sausage sandwich then squashed in a v.tasty burger. Was still food left, but couldn't squash another thing in even though it was really tasty. Wish could say same for supposed sangria...had to force that stuff down! Stayed outside chatting after BBQ and hostelman from night before came over to chat to us too. Chatted to come cool guys from Melbourne then headed off to get ready for night out. Were all really shattered and had to force selves to get ready. Quick shower, quick changed and even quicker make-up, then got free taxi to Cheeky Monkeys. Really cool that bar here (Cheeky Monkeys) does free pick-ups just to get people in bar, and is always busy! Was a v.strange bar and definitely a place you need to be drunk to enter. Had lots of topless people with their nations flags painted across chest...could deal with the guys like that, but bit overwhelming to be served by girls like that. Is the kind of thing you don't want to look at, but can't help it. Had a drink then decided to move on; too busy and we too sober.

Went with Melbourne guys over to Rails bar. Was much quieter and more...normal. Had chat and few drinks in there for a while, then decided were finally ready to face Cheeky Monkeys again. Just as about to move on, started to rain....rain...in Australia...in Summer...just not right. Had to do the carrier bag trick, pulling it over head and running back to Cheeky Monks. Was a big queue when got there, but got straight in because had already been stamped from earlier. So busy inside, even busier than before, but definitley better too...maybe because of more drinks? Stayed there for rest of night and ended up dancing for most of night - all of us even got up on stage. Was a really good night and Melbourne guys were really cool. Shame when got to end of night and guys started to try and pair off with us...left at that point. Got in free taxi, which was supposed to take us back to hostel, but would only take us to a 24hr pie shop! Must be some kind of agreement they've got going. I didn't even want a pie, but we all ended up getting one! Got a taxi back to hostel then and crashed out straight away in bed. So excited for sleep zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.


10/1/09 = Shoppping and beaching in Byron

Up at 7am today and couldn't get back to sleep. Really not impressed with these early mornings; wish body would sort itself out, only had 4hrs sleep! Closed eyes until 8:30, but then had to get up and chill out for a while. Everyone else started waking up just after 9, so got out of bed then and got ready for day. Was a beautiful blue day outside and really looking forward to looking round shops and checking out beach. Didn't feel too cracking after little sleep and lots drinking, but managed to force some breakfast in. Got bus at midday and was hard to decide what to do. Nice sun = beach, but town also looked lovely. Decided to do a little bit of shopping and noseying around, then go to beach at 1pm. Didn't really have money for shopping, but found a few cheap beach rings (i.e. shell rings)and bought them. Also found new journal because already filled 2 brought with me. So many nice shops and lots of jewellrey = dangerous territory for me! Scarpered out of those shops before ended up buying everything and coming home early with no money.

Met up at 1 and headed for beach in lovely, hot sun. Beach was really nice, with lovely sand, lovely sea and not too many people. Found a great spot and ate my v.expansive orange ($2.30 for an orange....you're havin' a laugh!). Had quick dip in sea and then back onto beach for a nice beach snooze. Perfect snoozing weather with a nice breeze. Woke up an hour later and were all hungry. Walked to Cheeky Monkeys to see if could get cheap meal deal = meals for $3. Brilliant! Devestated when found out didn't open until 7pm. Was only 5pm and we were all too hungry to wait and too hungry to go to supermarket and cook meals. Had to go for only option available = noodle box. Got totally greedy there and ended up spending $20, rather than the $3 had planned. Got a large noodlebox and a side order. Didn't even make it half way through the noodle box. Did the typical traveller thing though and saved the rest for later...would never do that at home.

Used internet in town for a while before going back (massively behind on blog and still am), went to supermarket for breakfast, then caught bus back to hostel at 6:40. Got shower straight away, finished off noodles (which were actually nice cold) and then put on a DVD for night = perfect. Watched new film called 'Taken' and was really good. Really enjoyed it, although was bit disturbing in parts. Went to bed early then in an attempt to catch up on some sleep, but typical me was wide awake after watching film and just in mood to watch films all night. Tossed and turned for ages = really rubbish, because me and Hat getting up at 4:15am to watch sunrise in morning. Didn't help that was really excited for sunrse too because Deb had already seen it and said how good it was. Even bought croissants to eat while watching it....can't wait. 😊


Advertisement



Tot: 0.337s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 37; qc: 173; dbt: 0.235s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.6mb