Sydney to Fraser Is


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
May 13th 2007
Published: May 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

NimbinNimbinNimbin

need i say more
Well, we survived our first night at a hostel in Oz. freakily managed to get put into a room with two pairs of girls we met in New Zealand!!!! very bizarre. we met up for a night out with Tammy (from school) who is working out here in a school in Sydney. We Oz Experience bus to Mojo Surf Camp a little stop between Sydney and Byron Bay.

The Oz experience is very different to the Kiwi. its all minibusses so only a small number of people are in your group and they dont stick together as much.
i spent most of my brithday on that first bus, getting to surf camp just in time for a small surf lesson untill the sun went down. we had a bbq for dinner and then drank.....a lot. (well i did anyway) and remembered very little the next day. i have been told that i was very entertaining though. the next stop was Byron Bay, where we were stuck as there were no spaces on the Oz Experience bus untill a few days later. we stayed the first nights at a plain standard hostel, then moved to another called the Arts factory, which was amazing. it was its own little hippy compound, cafes swimming pool and even a cinema, not even just a cinema, the first 3 rows were sofas, each person had their very own sofa 3 foot wide. and they play classic films all the time, we saw the clockwork orange. you could stay in a double decker bus, or a giant Teepee. unfortunately they were completely full so we had to settle for a normal room. we took a day trip to nimbin, a tiny little town full of hippys and alternative looking (and smelling) shops and cafes. where the law looks the other way to certain offences, im not completely sure how it works.
whilst in Surf camp we made friends with a girl from camden called Lauren and as we had the same sort of time restraints we planned the rest of our trip together.
our night in Surfers paradise was totaly different to most peoples perception of it as an australian Magaluf. but that just goes to show that it all depends on who your with not where. we were very hung over the next day so only managed to spend a few minutes at the
Lake McKenzieLake McKenzieLake McKenzie

cleanest water Ever!
beach, after spending most of the morning chilling out in a holiday inn resteraunt (much nicer than i thought it would be) having milkshakes and introducing the waitresses to Cheesy chips. we were in Brisbane for such a short time we nearly missed the whole thing.

Rainbow beach was next, of the southern tip of Fraser Island where we joined a 4x4 self drive trip, 10 people in the back of a toyota Landcruiser, (a realy big one) with tents and 3 days worth of food on the roof. we had such an amazing time, visiting the crystal clear freshwater lakes, trying to scare off dingos who were scavenging around for scraps, and are far to tame for theyre own good. Lauren, Jack and I even got to drive for a little bit, even though we werent allowed to because were not over 21. it was realy realy fun, and our group was realy great, 2 irish couples, a couple from newcastle and then us 3 and a Dutch guy (who i happened to have traveled with on the Kiwi bus) we were like the kids and they were the parents, except we were all drinking alot more than the average family.
Due to a cockup at the hostel we managed to get a free night in rainbow beach when we returned to the mainland and then we will head up to Airle Beach to start our Whitsundays cruise. i cant wait.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Our Frase Island Transport. Our Frase Island Transport.
Our Frase Island Transport.

10 people in that thing
Champangne poolsChampangne pools
Champangne pools

the only safe salt water swimming on Fraser (due to Sharks + Jellies)


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb