The Funky Byron Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
November 30th 2006
Published: December 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Instead of the usual short, rushed weekend trip away we decided to take a week off and go camping in and around Byron Bay on the NSW north coast.

We flew into Ballina which is roughly 40km South of Byron, and only about 150km from the NSW/Queensland border. From there we picked up our hire car and began our merry travels. It was pretty cool to be cruising around again and at times it felt like we were back in Veronica, just stopping where and when we wished. Over the week we explored the coastline and Brazil-like hinterland (with it's coffee and sugar cane plantations) from Ballina right up to tacky ol' Surfers Paradise. But it was Byron Bay that had the most appeal with it's quirkiness, diversity and beautiful protected beaches.

Byron Bay is a funky little seaside town that attracts surfers, hippies, backpackers, yuppies, junkies and life's general misfits. This alternative crowd makes for an interesting experience and we felt quite at home and comfortable there. The mix of people means there are lots of funky bars and cafes, loads of nice restaurants and cute shops. The beaches around Byron are also absolutely stunning. We stayed in an awesome campsite right on the beach and it had the best views. On one of our walks to Cape Byron (which represents the most easterly point of Australia) we spotted dolphins in the sea which for me was pretty magical.

We were also lucky to be there on the first Sunday of the month, when they hold the massive Byron Bay crafts and produce market. It was one of the best markets I've ever been to, the atmosphere was great and there were lots of stalls with locally grown produce, handicrafts, artworks of everykind and a variety of live performances.

We also visited a crazy little town situated inland about 1hr drive from Byron called Nimbim. It was like being in Amsterdam all over again with fewer coffee shops. Apparently Nimbim is where the hippie culture here in Australia still exists and is more reluctant than most towns to move out of its 1970s time warp; the house facades and shopfronts are painted in colorful psychedelic designs, its small stores sell health food, incense sticks etc and and many of the locals have stuck to their 1970s dress code too. However the overall impression we got was that it was more or less a hippie theme park that had moved far from what it was established as - we saw the results of years of substance abuse on a lot of people's faces and it wasn't pretty.

Another fantastic break away from it all, Byron and it's surrounds make for a fun and relaxing holiday. We promised ourselves that we would return here again (gotta love when Jetstar has those special fares!!).




Additional photos below
Photos: 61, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.293s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 15; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0605s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb