Counting the cost


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Budgewoi
June 30th 2006
Published: June 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Supamatic Van (with permission)Supamatic Van (with permission)Supamatic Van (with permission)

We have an annex over the side which encloses the kitchen area and makes an additional room. Will include more photos when I can.
Well, we're committed! We picked up the camper-trailer yesterday and it now sits in our backyard waiting to be "cured".

Apart from the house, this is the the most I have spent on anything in my life, even my cars were cheaper. I can't believe I spent this much on what is basically only a tent on wheels with a built-in kitchen but Sylvia assures me it is a great step up from a dome tent. She doesn't have to squat down when she is trying to dress any more!

"Curing" involves setting it up and leaving it in a 10 minute rain shower at least four times (the manufacturer's recommendation is 8 times) so that the sewn seams will shrink and ensure it is waterproof. This can be simulated by subjecting it to a dousing from a hose for a similar number of times. No-one seems to have told the manufacturers that we are drought-declared and haven't had any significant rain for the last four years and the use of hoses is banned. Might have to risk a leaky campervan (or do illegal things - not telling!).

Even so, we are delighted with our purchase. Ironically, I
Camper-trailer closed upCamper-trailer closed upCamper-trailer closed up

This is what it looks like when we are travelling.
can't take any photos of it today (30th June) because the sky is overcast and really bleak. Maybe tomorrow will be better. In the interim, you might like to check out the manufacturer's site: http://www.cubcampers.com.au/06/supamatic.htm. We have bought a Regal with an outside kitchen and an annex. I include this picture with their permission (thanks Bruno). They also have outlets in Canada and the USA so don't feel excluded. (Having tried it, I don't think the link works. Copy and paste to the address bar and click "go" to see what we are talking about).

We are also feeling the pressure to produce something regularly for all of you who have subscribed - 34 at last count. Didn't know we had so many friends around the world. (Hi, Shireen - we'll embarrass you with photos from Egypt if you don't behave!) Don't expect daily updates but, if you subscribe, you should get an email every time we do add something.

Having said that, it is probably worthwhile reviewing previous blogs as we will add photos as they become available and probably edit what we have written as we understand more about the areas we travel through. Those of
Camper-trailer set upCamper-trailer set upCamper-trailer set up

...and this is what it looks like when we are camping. The outside area can also be enclosed to make an extra room. In the small opening on the left are the stove, the sink and the pantry which all pull out.
you who have travelled extensively know it is often not until you have had the chance to reflect on your experiences that you are able to comment on what you saw/did/thought. Be assured we will be back-commenting on our travels.

Oh yeah! For those of you who might be interested, my operation was successful. I get the staples out today (ouch!) but still can't lift anything heavy - like a camper-trailer - for two weeks. Sylvia is going to have to work hard for the first week of our holidays.

July 3rd:
I'm having problems with my digital camera. Can't upload photos, so you might have to cope with blogs without photos until I can backdate things.

Have just bought a laptop to take with us on our travels so we can keep you up to date. Will publish a new blog when I get organised.

Meanwhile the rain is pouring down on the campervan and (we hope) sealing all the seams. There don't appear to be any major leaks so far and the fridge works successfully as far as we can tell. Still planning to leave on 10th July.

Sylvia's grand-daughter, Sarah, has been selected to play for the NSW state football (soccer) team and we will be deviating to watch her match on Tuesday, 11th July. Next blog before then.

July 9th:
Off tomorrow. Finally got the camera sorted out. Have added a couple of pictures of the camper-trailer. I will try to update the blog before we leave but no promises.


Advertisement



24th January 2012

Cub Camper
Hi. I know this post is pretty old, but I'm wondering if you still have the Cub. We live in Canada and bought ours about 2 1/2 years ago. It's just the basic Kamparoo, but serves us well. Sorry to hear of your job situation, but hope to follow you around Australia, as I do with KangarooJack. Gary
24th January 2012

Cub Camper
Yes, we still have the Cub. It's a Regal Supamatic with a few off-road additions. Love it even after 6 years. We have added an electric pump for the water and a battery to power it and the lights, which is charged while we are driving, so we can do without an electricity connection for a couple of days if needs be. We run the fridge off the gas. We are about to add a solar panel to make us even more independent. Recently had the whole thing serviced by Cub so it is in good condition. Done about 15000 km with it with no problems apart from the studs on the canvas breaking off now and again. John

Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 79; dbt: 0.0801s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb