Milparinka Gymkhana


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Broken Hill
July 11th 2006
Published: July 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Milparinka Gymkhana

Hi guys

Thought I might start a bit of a travel blog. To let you all know what I’ve been upto.

This past weekend’s trip was to the Milparinka Gymkhana. I can already here you saying,”where is Milparinka” and “what is a Gymkhana?”

Milparinka is located about 50km south of Tibooburra or about 300km North of Broken Hill in the very North West corner of NSW.

A gymkhana is a bit like a rodeo but without the bucking events. Lots of outback horses, cowboys and cowgirls competing in all manner of events, like melon cutting where the riders gallop along and try to cut 3 melons hanging of posts with a machete like knife. Other events include barrel racing where the horses and riders race around some barrels. There was also some good old human competition in events like the three-legged race.

The plan was to leave as close to 5.00pm as possible on Friday evening from the staff quarters in Broken Hill (we actually drove out of town at 6.50pm which was pretty good). A total of 15 people in 3 vehicles from the hospital went.

1st stop was Packsaddle for
DaveDaveDave

Opps he drank a bit
rest, a beer and a wee. There was lots of roos on the road (saw about 50) as well as a few foxes, sheep and rabbits. We managed to miss the whole lot of them. The gang then settled in a bit at the Packsaddle Pub and they managed to fit in a game of pool before we had to leave.

Next stop was “Coally Station” which is about a 200 000 acre property just south of Milparinka. Arrived around 1100pm at Coally to be greeted by a bunch of very drunk bushies. Tom, Tom, Sam, Dave, Tim and others. The party continued on into the wee hours of the morning and no doubt a few saw sunrise before going of to bed.

Bacon, eggs and steak was on the menu for breakfast. This was also was the first look at the surrounding countryside most of the gang had seen (as it had been dark since leaving Broken Hill). Here we were in a place which a few of them thought looked like Wolf Creek. Very dry, red dirt as far as the eye could see and not a blade grass to be seen.

Left Coally to go to the gymkhana where we set up camp. The other 5 who were coming up from Broken Hill arrived not long after us and we settled in for a great afternoon, night and morning of good company, red meat (they put on a beef roast), plus far too much beer, rum, and whisky. Once it became dark the fire drums were lit and the karaoke started. We all had a great time. Some more so than others. One of the girls went home with one of the local cowboys.

The next morning we headed up to Tibooburra for a look around and lunch minus the cowboy riding girl. Some of us had lunch at the Family Hotel and the other at the café.

After lunch we headed back to Milparinka to collect the missing one. She had decided to stay and was going to make her own way back. Tim pointed out the bar at the gymkhana grounds needed to be drunk dry. Not wanting to pass up an opportunity like that we decided to stay for a while and help them out.

Had to get Jill and Dave to drive home and after a 700km weekend we eventually arrived back in Broken Hill at 630pm after a very enjoyable trip.

Comment of the weekend was made after discussing the guy who does Elmo’s voice and Jill said, “is that his real voice?”

Participants for this trip were, Jill (physio), Dave (physio), Cassie (physio student), Dave (physio student), Lemo (local), Sophie (OT), Bronwyn (nutritional student), Ben (surgical reg), Erin (dental therapist) Sarah (Med student), Victoria (Med student), Ali (Med student), Bec (Med student), Mark (Med student), Dazza (me), the Saturday group was, Inga (physio aid), Rod (local), Jess (physio), Paul (physio), and Nicki (physio).

Next trip will be the Louth Races on the 12th August or maybe a trip to the Clare Valley before then

See everyone soon.

Love & Hugs

Dazza

XXXOOO



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Coaaly aftermarthCoaaly aftermarth
Coaaly aftermarth

Opps we drank a bit
Coally Sheering quatersCoally Sheering quaters
Coally Sheering quaters

View from the air 2005 of where we stayed
Coally Stock YardsCoally Stock Yards
Coally Stock Yards

View from the air 2005
Milparkina Gymkhana ShedMilparkina Gymkhana Shed
Milparkina Gymkhana Shed

Looking at the shed over the race track
Rescue RaceRescue Race
Rescue Race

Riders race down the track pick up their partner and the race back
AmbulanceAmbulance
Ambulance

Ambulance ready to go
Sunday MorningSunday Morning
Sunday Morning

Getting out of bed
The gangThe gang
The gang

The gang at Milparinka Gymkhana 2006
Road to TibooburraRoad to Tibooburra
Road to Tibooburra

Only a couple of Hundred KM to go
Sturt's BoatSturt's Boat
Sturt's Boat

Dragged it all the way from Adeliade looking for the great inland sea.
Tibooburra LookoutTibooburra Lookout
Tibooburra Lookout

Dave, Jill, Dave, Cassie


14th July 2006

geez i'm hot
Hi Dazza I'm looking pretty sezy in those photos aren't I? Hahaha.
16th July 2006

Hi Darren
Loved looking at your blog and seeing all the action this year. Hard to believe its been over a year since we were part of it. Crazy! Say hi to everyone for me, especially Lemo since I don't have an e-mail address for him. Write to me soon!!
19th July 2006

!
Nice to see a bit of scenery that i miss. Daz ur commentry is a bit of toss. Love the pic of Dave Sandunes!!
20th July 2006

Nice blog dazza
Hey Daz, I love the blog. Its great to hear all the stories from home and check out your photos. Keep them coming!! Love Roz

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb