The outback-tastic Broken hill


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Broken Hill
February 4th 2006
Published: February 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Indian Pacific The Indian Pacific The Indian Pacific

We finally arrived after a slooowww 10 hours journey.
04.02.06
We boarded our train at 2.55pm to find we weren't sat together and one of the seats was double booked! But in the end it was fine, we had been moved to 2 seats further from the toilets! and together.
On our way out we saw our first grey kangeroos!
We have never been on a train so, so slow! The trains move faster between Marks Tey and Colchester! or Swinton and Mexborough! Any slower and we would have been going backwards!Seriously!
We watched a couple of movies, had our tea and tried to sleep.
The following day, after about 4 hours sleep, we saw a nice sunrise and arrived at 7am, having put our clocks back half an hour. At this time it was already 25 degrees.
Yeah, we finally got away from Sydney into the middle of no where, just how we like it.
Broken Hill is an old, historic mining town. They still mine today for various different minerals including opals and silver. Also Pricilla Queen of the Desert was shot here too. Next door to Broken Hill is the even more historic ghost town of Silverton. Here various films have been shot including Mad max.
We
Morning in Broken HillMorning in Broken HillMorning in Broken Hill

After the beeping horns and hustle and bustle of Sydney we arrived to be greeted by nothing.
got off the train to be immediatly attacked by flies as we walked to our hostel we noticed a woman wearing a net over her face, this was a good sign. We got to our hostel and had to wait a while until the office was open. Then we got booked into a nice double room (only because the dorms were single sex). It's also got a nice little pool. Andy tried to ring Wardy but couldn't get through.
We had a relaxing day, checked out the town, had a dip in the pool, but not until 4.30pm as it was so hot!
We found out about the tours and compared them to the price of hiring a car. So we booked a car for the next day! Very excited, back to having our own wheels!
That night we walked through the drive through liquor store for a $5 bottle of wine to have with our left over pasta and spaghetti on toast, yes we are back to eating junk and showering in thongs (flip flops!)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0238s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb