Sydney - Blue Mountains


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Blue Mountains
March 19th 2006
Published: March 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi All,

Time for the next installment! It's been a little while coming because we have been back in Sydney for a while so the pace of our adventure has slowed down.

The high point has definitely been a trip to the Blue Mountains (just west of Sydney). They are spectacular - massive steep mountains and waterfalls shrouded in rainforest and mist (it's blue as it rises from the Eucalyptus trees which is where they get their name). We climbed down a steep forest path near the Three Sisters (a rock formation for those of you who haven't been) then walked along the rainforest base before getting the steepest train in the world back up the cliff face - incredible views! We also went to the Jenolan Caves and had our own private tour (it is out of season and so quiet!) They were beautiful too. Then we camped at the most boring outback town in the world and spent our evening in the pub (the type where the locals all have mullets and stare at you.)

We've also been further down the coast to Ulladulah (Millsy's childhood holiday haunt) where we climbed up Pigeon House Mountain (named by Captain Cook). It was a steep 2 hour climb in the middle of the day but well worth it for the great views of the New South Wales countryside and the sea.

We've tried to make the most of Sydney itself on our tight budget. We climbed to the top of the Harbour Bridge (courtesy of an xmas present from Millsy's parents) which was amazing! (we had monster hangovers but the great views did a good job of clearing our heads). We climbed up just as the sun was setting, then the city lights gradually came on and the view was fantastic. The climb wasn't as scary as it sounds - the worst part is actually getting onto the bridge across a tiny walkway above all the traffic. Once you're up there, it's really wide and doesn't feel as high as it really is (134 metres high). Well worth the effort anyway.

I reckon I like Sydney best out of everywhere we've been so far. We had a weekend in Manly with Millsy's mates which I particularly liked - a whole string of little beaches and coves only a stone's throw from the city, with a great beach atmosphere (I know a lot of you love it here).

It's been fun hanging out with his mates, am getting on well with them all. His best mate got married yesterday so I got to see a proper aussie wedding - down by the river. They wrote their own vows and it was lovely. Now we are suffering our next hangover and preparing to go up to Cairns tomorrow for the next part of our trip!

More soon...

Hope you're all well, email to let me know what you're up to!

Love Aims xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

ManlyManly
Manly

Mel, Adam, Millsy, Amanda, Sean
Adam and Mel's WeddingAdam and Mel's Wedding
Adam and Mel's Wedding

Don't we scrub up well!


20th March 2006

Hello
Hi Aims, Glad to hear you are still having a great time. I was going to send you an e-mail but for some reason don't have your e-mail address in my address book. Can you let me know what it is? Looking forward to hearing all about Cairns. How exciting!! Love Alice

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb