The Blue Mountains


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Blue Mountains
February 27th 2007
Published: February 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

"Blue Mountains""Blue Mountains""Blue Mountains"

Viewed from 'Majestic Lookout'
A two hour train journey from Sydney Central took me to Katoomba, high in the Blue Mountains. The weather was certainly different to what I had experienced recently, cold and wet but changing by the hour to totally clear or to more drizzle. Lucky I brought my jacket, the shops seem to have a thriving trade in warm clothing and waterproofs for the huddled tourists, shivering in T-shirts and sandals!

From Katoomba Station, I boarded the Explorer Bus and hopped off just outside town to walk down to Katoomba Cascades. Not particularly impressive cascades, so I headed onwards towards the Prince Henry Cliff Walk. This was much more spectacular, the path winding around the edge of the clifftop providing some superb panoramic views of the Jamison Valley. Particular highlights along the route were Reid's Plateau and Vaniman's Lookout, both offering incredible vistas of Mount Solitary and the edges of the cliffs.

Eventually trudged my way around to "Scenic World" where I caught the "Scenic Skyway" (a cable-car) over to Cliff View Lookout. This cable-car spans 500 metres across the valley, hanging 300 metres up as it glides between the two clifftops. Some more fantastic views, especially of Katoomba Falls
"The Three Sisters""The Three Sisters""The Three Sisters"

Viewed from 'Queen Elizabeth Lookout'
and Mount Solitary.

Picked up the Prince Henry Cliff Walk trail again, heading in the other direction towards probably the most famous vantage for viewing the valleys and mountains, 'Echo Point'. A muddy and tiring trek, but certainly worthwhile for the scenery. On Upon finally arriving at Echo Point, discovered it was basically a small carpark at the edge of the cliffpoint for coaches to stop while a few dozen, elderly Koreans took some pictures and jumped back on without doing any of the walking. Not a bad idea, but you do miss a few of the best viewing points if you only visit the ones accessible by road.

Just below Echo Point is Queen Elizabeth Lookout (named after Queen Elizabeth the Second, who viewed the Jamison Valley from that place during her visit of February 1954). It is basically the same place as Echo Point, but I thought it offered a slightly better angle of the main highlight of both, undoubtedly the best view of 'The Three Sisters', a rocky outcrop from a cliffpoint of three stone columns.

Tired from all the walking, I decided to skip a bit of clifftop and jumped on the Explorer Bus again at Echo Point to see Leura Cascades. Down another wet and muddy slope to the cascades which although nice, was a bit dark under the forest canopy to get any good photos. Then onwards and upwards through the forest and back up to the edge of the cliffs for 'Majestic Lookout'. A final stunning look at the cliffs and valley before retracing my steps, back past the cascades to meet the bus.

Ten minutes on the bus and I was in Leura Village, the next town down the railway line from Katoomba. Strolled onto the platform just as the Sydney train pulled up and got a couple of hours to relax on the journey back. Getting the tube from Central Station back to King's Cross brings you back down to earth with the stark contrast of surfacing surrounded by shifty looking blokes, drunks and tranny whores again!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

"View to Echo Point""View to Echo Point"
"View to Echo Point"

Viewed from 'Prince Henry Cliff Walk'
"The Three Sisters""The Three Sisters"
"The Three Sisters"

Viewed from 'Echo Point'
"Mount Solitary""Mount Solitary"
"Mount Solitary"

Viewed from 'Reids Plateau'
"Katoomba Falls""Katoomba Falls"
"Katoomba Falls"

Viewed from the 'Scenic World Skyway'
"Blue Mountains""Blue Mountains"
"Blue Mountains"

Viewed from 'Majestic Lookout'
"Jamison Valley""Jamison Valley"
"Jamison Valley"

Viewed from 'Cliff View Lookout'


Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0262s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb