Merry Christmas to you all


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Albury
December 28th 2006
Published: December 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We have finally made it back to Australia but not without a few last minute hiccoughs which I will fill you in with later.
I do plan on finishing our African adventure with all of you as well but as internet access has been very limited lately, (easier to get an internet in Tamale than in Aus!!!!) it will have to wait just a little longer.
since leaving Africa on the 8th December we have had a very memorable week in Dubai and a few weeks here in Australia trying to feel a little Christmassy while catching up with my not insignificant family and doing vast bits of travelling.
Our arrival to Adelaide was glorious, the sun was shining, we were all really excited and it was hard to believe that I was touching Aussie soil and not having to leave it again in a few short weeks. The children were besides themselvews with excitement and as we landed in Melbourne first at 0200 we had several hours to wait before our Adelaide flight departed at 0700. None of us could get to sleep though we did stretch out on a nice bit of floor with some blankets borrowed from our Emirate flight draped over us. It is essential to mention at this stage that our homecoming was not exactly as we had planned it as Richard was still in Dubai.
I do not wish to admit to the world at large how stupid we were but at least it happened at the end of our trip and not at the beginning. On the day we were due to leave Dubai we got to the airport in plenty of time for our 1320 flight. As we were at the check in and the attendant asked us where we were flying to we answered Australia. When , she asked, today we said, at 1320. I don't think so she replied, the flight for today is leaving just now!!!!
At the sheer horror and shock on my face she quickly reassured us that she would try to get us on the next flight. It turned out that the next flight would be another 48 hours leaving at 0245 in the morning and there were only 4 seats available. At first we tried to get a flight togehter but it became evident that our best chance of seeing Australia before Christmas was to split up. It was decided that I would fly with the children and Richard would follow on in 24hours. It was devastating to be split up but at the same time we knew it was the only thing we could do. So be warned fellow travellers, check your flight times meticulously. Richard and I both checked ours and look where it got us.
Luckily we were staying with our very dear friends Lisa and Murph and they were able to come back to the airport and take us home, so on a positive note we had an extra 2 days with our friends.
We have had a very memorable few weeks and a fantastic Christmas but it has reinforced to me why I like to be organised at Christmas, that last minute running around is terrible and stressful but we were with family and made so welcome and happy and the children have been spoiled rotten.
We are currently in New South Wales and possibly heading back to Adelaide on the 31st December. A few problems with housing but nothing that will not be resolved.
It is so great to be home and feel that not too much is changed.
We were expecting Africa to be dry and arid and have water restrictions and problems but we have found that to be so much more the case here in Australia. Driving through the states has really given us a good look at the land and it is indeed parched and thirsty. Australia is really in the grips of a severe drought and needs to take serious steps to look after the land and the people. We are looking forward to playing our part but first we need to find a house schools jobs, etc, etc.
Until we have the chance to write again, a very merry christmas to you all and all the best for a really wonderful new year.
Love from the J-Ps, still on the move.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.285s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0869s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb