Day 55: Canberra‏


Advertisement
Published: February 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Everybody said 'if you're getting short of time definitely give Canberra a miss'. Well we had plenty of time and thought we'd go visit the nations capital. Ok so it doesn't have nice beaches or the cool quirky shops and cafes you find on the East Coast, but it does have great museums - perfect for a rainy day. First we toured Capital Hill and Parliament House - being a weekend it was incredibly quiet! Then we spent the afternoon in the National War Memorial, a really interesting and moving display of the battles fought by the Australian and New Zealand troops. Canberra itself is 'sleek', the large modern buildings sit amongst beautiful hills of the countryside and it seems like a peaceful place to work (perhaps not busy enough to live there!).
The roads in and out of Canberra are pretty barron, but filled with Kangaroos!

Bailey's bit: Canberra was created to stop the feuding between Sydney and Melbourne about which city was the capital; placed between the two cities it is slap bang in the middle of nowhere, a modern metropolis surrounded by mountains and vast expanses of greenery. Really enjoyed our day, but back to the coast tomorrow to continue our adventure!

Daily mileage: 4 ran through the national park to another camp site close by. Was having to dodge the kangaroos that littered the road and verges, I guess my aboriginal name would be 'runs with kangaroos' today!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb