Eastwards


Advertisement
Published: June 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Otesha Rocks!Otesha Rocks!Otesha Rocks!

Our awesome host, Richard Kazlowski of Red Deer, did this in the snow for us one snowy morning!
Hi!

Here are some kickass photos for you!

Some of the photos were taken from a Viterra Grain Elevator, where we toured. Enough grain to fill 100 railcars (literally) comes through that facility every WEEK. Almost all of the products that come through this elevator go through a long, long journey, ending up in Asia. In Asia, its packaged and occasionally shipped back to us with the "Product of Canada" label stamped on it. Man, can you say, redundant travel?
Malt Barley and Feed Barley are the only grains that came from that facility that are NOT shipped overseas.

Othe cool things as of late that have happened, have included COPIOUS amounts of sun. Everyone is well-tanned. The temperature is around 30 some days, I swear. Biking is going awesome, did you know that Eastern Alberta isnt FLAT? There's hills! (They're only little ones).

The tour liason position I have is proving to be awesome. Its tough work, as much of the work I do has to be on MY free time (which I dont like) so its somewhat exausting. After Otesha, my plan right now is to bus to Edmonton to see an old friend, and
Tyler and the HorsesTyler and the HorsesTyler and the Horses

Communing with nature, over a barbed-wire fence.
then to bike through the rockies to Victoria.

After Victoria, I have some craazy plans brewing, that involve A LOT of bike travel. Im hoping to self-fund a bicycle trip to South America, by doing self-designed awareness building workshops, in schools as I go! I hope to base the focus of these workshops on awareness, using local environmental issues as a subject. Researching local environmental and ethical issues while travelling through countries on bicycle sounds like a dream come true, and spreading that awareness through workshops would be incredible.

Take care. If I could, Id give you a hug tighter than my sparkly green bike shorts.

And with that mental image in mind, I bid you all adeu.
Love,
Tyler


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

HomeHome
Home

This, at one point, was a home, Im sure.
Someone Else's StuffSomeone Else's Stuff
Someone Else's Stuff

6 panniers + one bicycle = awesome. After one tour member's bicycle started degrading in functionality quite drastically, and needing to still ride 50km that day, Scott John came to the rescue!
New DigsNew Digs
New Digs

Thaaaats right! Scott-John recieved a make-over! Katrina brought along some paints on our tour, and this is what came out of it!
BBQ PartyBBQ Party
BBQ Party

Definately NOT environmentally friendly.
Bison?Bison?
Bison?

Elk Island National Park, just outside of Edmonton, provided us with some super-sweet wildlife encounters. These things are surprisingly dangerous. No-one was hurt in the making of this photo.
Chandel and my BikeChandel and my Bike
Chandel and my Bike

Chandel, the other Tour Liason for our tour, and my bike, hanging out on the side of the road.
Grain ElevatorGrain Elevator
Grain Elevator

During a tour at a Viterra Grain Elevator.
Barley!Barley!
Barley!

Again, at the Viterra Grain Elevator. This photo is of a truck being filled with Barley. It takes about 7 seconds to fill the truck with 4 tonnes of Barley. Isnt that nuts?


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0231s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb