Cape Split


Advertisement
North America
September 8th 2015
Published: October 3rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

This morning in Wolfville, NS, we had a scrumptious breakfast at our B&B, surrounded by the richness of old woodwork and mouldings, fine fixtures and paintings of the Victorian era. This house, built in 1893, was certainly the work of master craftsmen.

We got into the car and drove towards Cape Split to hike the trail there. We stopped at a "look off" to view the stunning Annapolis Valley spread out below us with its lofty trees, red tilled fields, crops, farms and orchards.

After an hour or so, we arrived at the trailhead and got out our backpacks and filled them with the wraps we'd made the night before, along with some water and fruit. Tim got out his hiking boots but as I looked for mine, I quickly realized with a sinking heart that they were not in the car. I must have forgotten them in our B&B in Gros Morne Park in Newfoundland. There was nothing to do do except put on my running shoes and hope for the best.

As we started up the trail, I spotted a little pile of long, limbless branches that were available to be borrowed and used as walking sticks. I grabbed one as we had an 8 km uphill climb ahead of us. Soon it started to rain. Although we were protected somewhat by the canopy of trees, we were soon wet but the day was warm and so were we so it was all good.

We scrambled uphill over roots, rocky terrain and muddy patches. We continued ascending through the forest with its mossy knolls, ferns and coniferous and hardwood trees. After almost two hours, we came into an open area. We walked onto the grassy headland and the breathtaking view opened up before us. Both sides of the headland ended in high cliffs overlooking treacherous tidal currents. There were no railings and the cliffs are actively eroding and potentially dangerous so we approached the edge gingerly. Peering down 200 ft to the water below, we could see the rock formations created by the massive tides and the water moved in fast ripples, the tide pulling it along.

We ate our lunch on the soaring cliffs and took one last look over the precipice, hearts beating fast, careful not to go too close. Our hike down went a little quicker and soon we were at the bottom again.

It was time to leave Nova Scotia. We spent the rest of the day getting to Moncton, New Brunswick and grabbed a quick dinner before eventually arriving at our Couchsurfing host's house. Hugh greeted us at the door and we got settled in before sitting down for drinks. Into the night we talked, sharing drinks, getting to know each other and staying up way too late.

Finally we went to bed. Tomorrow we explore Fundy Park.

(Scroll to bottom of page for more photos.)


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb