A2 RIHLA #13


Advertisement
North America
December 16th 2012
Published: December 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

1. Hind Ahmas's veil is a niqab, which is a veil that covers every part of your face except your eye. This is different from other muslim veils because other veils either only covers a woman's hair or covers their entire body.

2. Ahmas was unable to wear her veil because muslim veils that covers the entire face are now banned in French; anyone who wears a veil in public will now be fined two hundred dollars and may be required to take a French value class. This has made Ahmas, along with many other muslim women, very upset because they see the law as a form of anti- muslim sentiment. They think of the law as not a way to free women from oppression, but as a way to opress them instead because if they're not allowing to go out in public veiled, then the only choice they have is to stay home.

3. People who defend the laws argued their position with two points. The first point is that wearing a veil prevents people from interating with society. They argued that wearing a veil allows for a person to conceal themselves and seperate contact from the public. The second point is that the law liberates women from oppression. They believed that banning veils disables traditions that forces women to cover up their face or body.

4. I think that the government should decide what oppresses women and what liberates them but only to a certain extent because while the purpose of a government is to create laws to fix problems in society; however, those solutions may or may not work and might make the problems even worse. Just like how there's conservatives and liberals in the US government to ensure law plays a part in people's lives but doesn't control how they live, a government should take action when a problem arises but does not exert control over the people, thinking it's the best solution.

Advertisement



Tot: 1.765s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 47; dbt: 0.051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb