RIHLA #3


Advertisement
North America
September 25th 2011
Published: September 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

1. After reading the article India's "Untouchables" Face Violence Discrimination there was a huge connection to what we learned in World Hstory class. Sme things we learned in class were that the culture Hinduism had certain beliefs that when men and women were born they were born into certain castes. The castes were ranked from royalty down to untouchables, which were literally men and women that weren't even acknowledged. The "untouchables" were men and women that were so below the castes they were meant to do the dirtiest jobs because people saw them as dirty individuals.

2. Based on the caste system in India I feel men and women are scared to even stick up for themselves. The Dalits might not stick up for themselves in situations because they get punished for everything. Dalits cannot even feel safe with the police because they are half as bad as the upper ranked castes. Women Dalits are raped, beaten, and even killed just by being affiliated with Dalits that were a problem to higher castes. Women and men Dalits gave up on the fact of reporting accidents because the authorities would dismiss most of the cases. Because of that the Dalits would not even bother reporting incidents if nothing would be done about the problem.

3. Looking at the Dalits treatment it makes me see hows other cultures in the United States are related. Span example is in history when African American cultures were treated like outsiders. Africans Americans were treated as if they were nothing. There were even separate water fountains for African Americans to drink from and even different schools. This resembles Dalits because Dalits weren't considered to be anything to castes in higher ranking.

4. When reading the article the thing that stood out to me the most was when the article stated when Dalits reported a problem it would often get dismissed. This was a problem because if authorities were it protected the Dalits who were. It was sad to know the men and women would live in fear because of torture from the higher ranking castes.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0255s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 992.6kb